Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 6 months of various "Pros" working on a sbs2003 server, passwords were changed without recording somewhere, server just quit. I have three client machines that need to have the logon removed so that they can be networked peer to peer. server is overkill for the business.
How do I get the clients to boot without logon?

· Registered
81 Posts
Even without a server you should be able to login to the machines with the local accounts. When they were installed, was a password set on the local administrators accounts? If you know that one you should be able to login by choosing the local computername as "Domain". Try Administrator with a blank password as well, always worth a shot.

If it doesn't work, there are utilities you can use to crack or remove the passwords from the machines, usally in the form of a bootable Linux CD. This one is quite easy to use, it will crack the local passwords in fairly short order unless they are really strong: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd

Just download the XP variant, burn to a CD and boot with that CD.

Always a good eye-opener for how easy it is to crack anything but really strong passwords btw.

· Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,493 Posts
Hello Barrybytes and welcome to TSF!

For each client machine you may log on Locally, try logging on as Administrator and leave password blank and you should be able to log on.
What is the condition of the server right now? Is it completely down? If it's up you may do a DCPROMO and demote it to workgroup, you may still use this and have a Peer to Peer Networking. You may shares files as well. Servers on Workgroup does have server roles as well.

I hope this helps.

Hi David...please read the TSF rules: * You may not ask for assistance with any deemed illegal activities such as but NOT restricted to the following:-

software pirating
hacking
password cracking
keystroke recording software
assistance with accessing copyrighted software programs
Leeching on private or public WiFi/Broadband connections

· Registered
81 Posts
Oops, sorry about that.

There are times when you legitimately really need to get rid of or crack passwords though, both on servers and workstations. I'll stay good though, rules are rules!

We always set local administrators passwords btw, on all customer computers and our own. Leaving a blank password is definitely a security risk!

Btw, if the server is up but not responding correctly, logging in could be a problem. But if the server is down you should still be able to log in with cached credentials, that is, just log in as usual on the domain.

· Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,493 Posts
Oops, sorry about that.

There are times when you legitimately really need to get rid of or crack passwords though, both on servers and workstations. I'll stay good though, rules are rules!

We always set local administrators passwords btw, on all customer computers and our own. Leaving a blank password is definitely a security risk!

Btw, if the server is up but not responding correctly, logging in could be a problem. But if the server is down you should still be able to log in with cached credentials, that is, just log in as usual on the domain.
No worries David, you're right rules are rules.

By default local Admins password are left blank and you're right about security issues. Let's wait for Barrybytes reply and see if he's got any progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.