Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
REFERENCE: Under the "Modems" forums I had a thread called "DSL Blues".
To make a very long story short:
My DSL worked OK from about Feb 2003 until early 2005, with just a few bumps along the way. Starting in April 2005, it got really bad, then I had DSL for just a few minutes a day, and then none at all. A technician came to the house several weeks ago, and fixed the problem. I have had a good connection 100% of the time since.

Today I received the August bill, and it is higher. After about an hour on telephone with three SBC reps, here is what they said was the bottom line:

My SBC-DSL service originally was their 'starter DSL'. They no longer offer this 'cheaper' service to my house, so they switched me to a better service, which is more expensive, and for which they have no 'specials' right now.

I told the lady (she was not nice) who told me this that SBC had renewed my contract for a year in February 2005, for $20/mo, and that is what SBC is obligated to honor. She said no, SBC would not do that. Furthermore, she said, no one at SBC would change that decision: It will now be $40/month, and I either pay it, or leave it.

I spoke with her for several minutes, and finally had to hang up.

I just sent SBC an e-mail. I just can't believe it. If this indeed is the case, my next step is a letter to the Attorney General in Missouri.

What do you think about the whole thing?

Thanks for your time

Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
higher bill

Do you have anyone else at the house that could get dsl service....say as a "new customer"?
New customers can get pro speed(3 Mbps) for 24.95....See sbc page.

If you don't get anywhere, the place to send a letter to is the Public Service Commision...PSC

·
Global Moderator
51,341 Posts
SInce the PUC probably moves slow, I'd send the letter right away, then work on resolving the issue other ways in parallel. Of course, I doubt that SBC is the only way to get DSL at your location, look into alternatives. :smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I doubt that SBC is the only way to get DSL at your location, look into alternatives."

This had not occurred to me at all; I was under the impression that DSL and SBC went together. I most definitely will look into it - Thanks!

Alex

·
Global Moderator
51,341 Posts
If you have DSL service to your house, there are doubtless a bunch of 3rd party DSL providers just itching to help you spend your on-line money. :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
johnwill said:
If you have DSL service to your house, there are doubtless a bunch of 3rd party DSL providers just itching to help you spend your on-line money. :grin:
As long as you aren't coming out of an RT, 3rd party providers are a good option. Check for http://speakeasy.net availability (not the cheapest but they are top rated)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.