Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of creating a series of financial calculators using javascript. My intention is to turn these into stand alone windows executable applications.

My options are either creating an exe file using Script to Exe or including the files in something like Autoplay Media Studio. (All files will be local on users machine).

I am looking for a simple and clean way that the user would be able to recall their input from a previous session. I think I could do this with cookies or some other datafile but this is where my understanding of html and javascript come to an end.

Could someone point me in the direction of some sample code or ideas. I have looked at the W3C page and it explained how a cookie works but I am not sure how to apply to my needs.

Thank you in advance for you assistance. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sounds like the scope of your project may not be suitable for the Web. Web applications are "stateless" meaning they are not meant to save the state of an application. Normally, you would use cookies to store user settings. But when you find yourself creating several cookies to make the application usable, you will want to rethink how your application is built.

A "cookie" is simply a name/value pair that is stored in a file on the users computer. It is one of the few files stored on the users computer that the web application has access to. For instance, you've probably seen a checkbox to save your username on a login box. What that does is write your username to the "cookie file". To see an example of a cookie, open up Internet Explorer -> goto Tools -> Settings -> View Files.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.