Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

saving emails

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  roosta21 
#1 ·
I could not find a forum especially for this topic, and since I run a windows 2000 I thought I would try here.

I want to save emails on a floppy disk, but I see that they only save under "subject". Is there any way to change that so they are saved by sender??

Thanks very much,
Postcard

:winking:

#3 ·
Saving Emails

Ok.....take a deep breath.........I'll try to see if I understand you.
I went back into my email account.............it's OutLook Express 6.
I then clicked under File...........found Export..............and saw Address book and message.
If I click on message...........it asks Microsoft Outlook /Microsoft Exchange.
Am I even close to figuring out what you said???

:rolleyes:

And if so.............where do I go from there..............please.

My goal is to save them to a folder that I can save to a cd.

Thanks very much....
Postcard:winking:

#4 ·
Hi Postcard,

I've done this many times. With Outlook Express there's a special way to do this if you're not using a third party program to back up emails.
What you do is you copy a special folder in the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\'User name'\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities.

Under here, you'll find some weird looking folders labeled in hexadecimal coding. Each of these correspond to your identities that you created in Outlook Express. When you open up that folder you will need to open up 2 more folders until you reach the actual .dbx files that contain the actual data. To determine which folder corresponds to you identity you'll probably have to open some file say your inbox.dbx in notepad and have a look at the content inside.

This only backsup the email messages. It does not backup address book contacts. You'll have to backup contacts by copying the .wab file in the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Stanley Lai\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Well, that's all just remember when you restore these files and folders that you copy them to their appropriate paths and also uncheck read-only attribute under Properites of that file if they were backed up on to CDROM.

There are some third party applications that perform this entire operation but I haven't tried them out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.