Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a raid array with 2 200gb sata drives.
in xp however i get the green arrow in the taskbar as if i had an external usb drive plugged in....when i click on the arrow to 'safely remove hardware' sure enough, my 2 sata drives are listed.

i have never done a raid setup before.... is this normal?

chaintech 7NJL6 (nforce2 raid)
amd xp 3000+
2 sata 200gb drives in raid 0 (as primary boot drive,with xp installed)
1 ide 120gb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to see you never got an answer here, because I have the same mobo, and the same problem with 2 400gb SATA drives.

It's definitely a hardware issue, because I get the same result with a Knoppix live CD. Instead of showing one 744gb sata drive, it shows me two removable 372gb drives. Even though during bootup, the mobo shows a 744gb RAID.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks...

P

·
0 Posts
I once bypassed this problem by flashing the bios. give it a try if it doesnt work we will open up the black book of tweaks :))))

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, seems it's a software issue after all. Or at least a driver issue.

I installed Windows XP and just like m.d., XP saw two removable drives.

On a complete whim, I got out the Seagate Discwizard CD that came with the drives and ran it from within Windows. It detected a 745gb RAID array that needed "to be prepared for use with Windows." I told it to add the array as "additional storage" and voila... "My computer" now sees a 745gb drive.

There are STILL 2 "removable drives" showing in the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, but at least I can access the array now. Anyone know how I can hide that "safely remove hardware" icon so people can't click it?

I guess if I want to use these drives as a RAID array, I'll need to stick with Windows unless someone knows how to make similar Discwizard magic happen in Knoppix (or any other Linux flavor?).

Thanks...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, not out of the woods yet.

After three disasters, I've realized that the IDE/RAID drivers that come on the mobo's included CD hose Windows to the point that it won't start upon reboot.

Nothing but the black screen with the Windows XP logo and the three blue dots that move left to right underneath..... forever.

Chaintech's web site yields the following page with two supposed locations from which to download newest versions of those drivers:

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/dl_LI.asp?DISNo=412

Only problem is, BOTH of those locations give me nothing but "The page can not be found."

While I'm waiting for a reply from Chaintech (which I'm reading may be a looooooooong time coming), does anyone know of an alternate location where I can find Chaintech mobo drivers?

Thanks.....

EDIT: I just realized since this mobo uses the nForce2 chipset, I might be able to find these drivers at nvidia.com... after all, even though they're not Chaintech-specific, I've got nowhere to go but up, right?

Downloading from nvidia.com as we speak...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
two things come to mind but I am no raid guru by a lone shot !!!!

are you running XP service pack 2 ?????

are your bios the most current version available ????

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not running RAID, yet. But having issues to get to recovery console in XP and noticed a question about BIOS. There may be a newer BIOS, 7NJL6B18, for download. It is in WHQL folder at Taiwan FTP site. I can not tell you what is improved.
Also I have a BIOS I purchased. Oddly, they could not tell me exactly what was improved and I saw no difference under WME except I seemed to lose a couple of setting in BIOS. They told me I'd need XP to see it shine. I have not tried it under XP.
Is there some way to disassemble it or understand the differences between it and Chaintech version?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.