Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you guys could help me with something.
I have 2 Hard Drives in my machine at the moment.
1 SATA 160GB
and one IDE 160GB

MY SATA Hard drive is split into 2 partitions, one which has MY OS on it (XP) and one for my files
My IDE Hard drive has only a single partition with files on it, and is set to slave.

I recently bought a second SATA Hard drive, however, when i plug it in, Windows will not load, it will get to the blue loading bar, then that finish and the computer seems to just halt at that point.
I can see the second SATA HD when in bios, my boot priority is
CDROM
Removable
Harddrive
which it has been since i built the machine, yet windows will not load while the second SATA is plugged in.
Once i remove the SATA, Windows loads perfectly as normal.
I do not believe it is a problem with the SATA HD itself, because i tested my problem on a friends SATA, which is confirmed working, and i get the same problem.

I do NOT have a RAID card, and Raid is disabled in BIOS anyway.
My MOBO SATA controller can support 4 SATA Disks, can any of you help me find a solution to my problem?

My Original SATA (With XP) is indeed first to boot
It is also plugged into the first SATA port on my MOBO (They are clearly marked)
My MOBO is a p5nSLI

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Vladimirb has most likely given you the solution. To clarify, go to the bios setup menu, then the Boot Menu, Hard Disk Drives Area. When there, make sure your boot drive is listed first in that list. Don't forget to save before you exit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah as stated in my original post, my boot drive is indeed first in the boot menu, and it does TRY to load XP, however, it doesnt get past the Windows XP Splash screen with the moving loading bar. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Is raid set as IDE mode? Also, you won't be able to use that new disk until you partition and format it. When it is hooked up, then enter setup before windows loads....then, go check that Hard Drive Priority as we stated earlier. It is possible that your computer is defaulting to the drive you just put in instead of the one with the OS on it. They do that some times and since it is not formatted, it can't find anything. I would check that first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new drive is already partitioned and formatted, and raid is disabled as i do not have a raid card. The machine does load windows, up to the point of the blue loading bar, so why would it switch after its already found an OS?
Should i enable raid in BIOS? thanks for your help so far, hopefully we can fix my problem

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Are you loading Sata drivers by tapping F6 when it prompts you for other or Scsi drivers? I would assume your new drive is Sata II, is your motherboard Sata I or Sata II compliant? If it is Sata I, then you need to change the jumper on the new drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.