Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok new guy here and im wanting to break my pc again but with something new this time so decided to play with my hd's

whats makes the machine quicker?
whats cheaper?
whats easier?

i have an asus k8v 64bit mobo on with promise and fast track but to be honest i dont know what that means so any help would be most appreciated
thanks in advance

120 gig 72,000 maxtor hd so i will need another hd or should i just get 2 satas?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
DazzlerUK said:
ok new guy here and im wanting to break my pc again but with something new this time so decided to play with my hd's

Here are some personal opinions!

whats makes the machine quicker?

A Sata raid setup would probably be the fastest!

whats cheaper?

A single Sata hard drive is the cheapest option. Sata drives are a definite upgrade.

whats easier?

Neither is real difficult, but the single Sata might be the easiest if you have no experience in this area.

i have an asus k8v 64bit mobo on with promise and fast track but to be honest i dont know what that means so any help would be most appreciated,

The bottom line is that your board can run raid in some configurations that you specify.

thanks in advance

120 gig 72,000 maxtor hd so i will need another hd or should i just get 2 satas?

These IDE drives like you listed above are not too bad actually. You won't see a great performance increase with Sata, but there is some. With Raid using Sata drives, you would see the greatest gain.

Side Note: Actually, it might have been better to know more about your machine. Some times, a memory upgrade can pique performance to some degree. There are just too many variables to know where else you might improve things without knowing more about what you have totally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got an asus k8v mobo with a 64bit athlon 3000+ newcastle 754 cpu clocked up to 2.2 gig
memory is crucial ddr 400 and got 3 sticks of 512 all the same stuff to stop any hassle with that

bought a raid controller today so all i need is 2 sata raid drives now...i think!!:4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Don't know why you would need an extra raid controller, this board should have that on there built right in. (Promise Raid I think), but a raid controller will work also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.