Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my computer lately and am wanting to install a SATA drive on my computer. The motherboard conveniently has two slots for a SATA HD (AFTER I bought the adapter of course!), but before I go throwing things into my computer I have several questions.

1. Do I need to make any particular changes in my BIOS settings prior to formatting the drive and installing Windows on it? I am installing Windows XP-and yes, I know I am still in the dark ages but I like XP, that's what I own and I am accustomed to and honestly can't afford to pay for a new OS right now. If I could I would buy a whole new computer!

2. I have never formatted a hard drive just using Windows XP's NTFS format utility before. Is it pretty straightforward? In the past, I have used a setup disk in a command prompt, used Fdisk, created a directory to copy WINXP to and installed from the directory, that way I always had a complete copy of the disk available right there on my hard drive. I always kind of liked having a copy of the OS right there if I needed it. I have a disk that a friend made that is a lean version of WINXP that has all of the crap cleaned out and all of the updates already on the ISO and I can use my own registration number on it. I love the option of having a lean copy.

3. What are the steps I will need to do to install the operating system from the disk to the new HD? It will be coming from the DVD Drive and Install from my existing WIN XP OS on 120 gB HD to the new SATA HD on second 2 TB HD. I know I will need to select NTFS but what other options will I need to select?

4. When I install both drives what are the ramifications of having two hard drives and two OS's...do I just point it to my primary hard drive and leave it at that? My BIOS is current and everything else is in perfect condition.

5. Will I be able to migrate data from one drive over to the other drive very easily? I would eventually like to get rid of all the critical files on the 120 GB drive & use it strictly for my Graphic design software files or maybe just for my Torrent files.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. I'd love to get this thing done but I wanted to make sure I don't just throw it in and start getting conflicts everywhere right off the bat.

Docs Gal

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
1) Yes, you'll need to set your BIOS's boot order to CD first, then SATA. I always disconnect any IDE drives and set the IDE to 'Off' in the BIOS. During boot, with the XP CD installed, you'll see 'Press any key to boot from CD'.

2) Yes, it is very straight forward. XP will check which drives you have configured in BIOS, check the drive, see that it's not formatted, display a screen allowing you to choose NTFS or FAT formatting, and go from there. Easy.

3) Not quite sure I understand your question, but if you're installing XP from the CD, there's really not much to do until you get to the date and clock settings. After that, it will discover your hardware and install either a manufacturers working driver from it's files or use defaults (after you're on-line, and if you use a WiFi device you need that install CD, you can download any needed drivers from the mobo manufacturers site and install them).

4) Usually, the BIOS will detect the 2 OS's and display a boot page where you can select which drive you want to boot from. Other BIOS's you have to go in and change boot order. Other BIOS's just display a 'Press the Fx key for boot order'.

5) Yes, after you've installed the OS on the new drive, reconnect the IDE drive to the IDE controller, set the BIOS to recognize it. When you get to the new OS's desktop, the drive will be shown and you can just copy any files or folders you want. I wouldn't try to transfer settings as that often doesn't go well. Once you've transferred all the files you want, you can just right click that drives icon in 'My Computer' and re-format it using the built in tools. That wipes it clean.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If you don't want to do a fresh OS install, you could just ghost the old Hdd to the new Hdd and then format the old Hdd.
WD and Seagate both have a free version of Acronis that will accomplish that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.