Memory Crucial 1024MB
IDE Primary HDD (80G Seagate Barracuda ), Plextor DVD burner
IDE Secondary empty
SATA1 (300G Seagate Barracuda)
SATA2 empty
Floppy Drive (Sony)
OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2
BIOS American Megatrends 1005.001 9/7/2005

I've just installed a used SATA Seagate Baracuda HDD. I'm assuming it's unformatted. After rebooting the drive does not show up in Device Manager (or Disk Management in Device Manager) or System Information. It also doesn't appear in BIOS. How can I get this drive recognised so I can Format and Partition? Would Enabling Plug and Play in the BIOS > Advanced section help? Thanks for any advice...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the TSF. You need to enable the sata ports in the bios. You then will need to check the boot priority and set the 80Gb hdd as the boot drive...should be: 1st device floppy, 2nd device dvd, 3rd device 80gb hdd. You would also benefit from taking the dvd off of the primary channel, make it a master and put it on the secondary ide connector....Oh, and no, you can leave PnP disabled for XP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In BIOS, the "OnChip SATA Controller" is enabled. Boot priorities are as you said.
The primary IDE ribbon cable is an 80 wire Ultra DMA cable. I seem to remember the primary on my MB supports this. If I understand correctly, each drive controller can operate simultaneously this way. The drive jumpers are set for CSEL. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Change the jumper from csel to master...the master drive should be on the far end of the ribbon, same for the dvd on the secondary channel. there is no master/slave for sata drives, but you mobo may want the drive on a spesific set of sata ports, check the mobo manual to see which controller supports which sata ports. Yes, both the primary and seconday ide channels can operate simultaneously, thus you'll have the hdd as primary master and the dvd as the secondary master....this should reduce any bottleneaks and conflics when writing to the dvd and speed things up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've installed the drive in my daughter's PC as a further test. It works fine. In my machine, the drive spins up but makes noise. Sounds like a car horn in the distance, intermittantly. It's quiet in hers, even up close with the side panel off. I'm guessing my power supply isn't up to it, or the power adapter cable (old style to SATA) is not good. I also tried a different data cable on her PC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SATA drive is now working on my PC! I reconfigured the drives as suggested above, changed the SATA data cable, and pluged the power cable adapter into a different connector. I don't know which was responsible for success. I notice that when rebooting now a DOS type screen no longer appears asking me to designate a primary master drive. That wasn't usable anyway, as the keyboard didn't function at that point. Thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.