Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have tried to replace my motherboard without success,so i put my oldone back in (abit ic7-max3). upon connecting the harddrive barracuda 7200rpm 120gb drive, my pc no longer switches on. it will switch on without the power able to the hd connected. used to work fine before so not sure what is wrong.

an ideas?

if you need more info please let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
what is the make/model of the PSU? does the pc go through a proper POST without the HD connected?
make sure you have both power connections to the mobo properly seated.

you can try disconnect all other devices not needed to boot, just leaving the HD connected to see if it will. try another PSU if you have one there of equal power.

what happened with the other mobo when you set it up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the psu is a EZ Cool atx 550. dont have a spare to try out

yes proper post without hd power cable connected.

everything appears to be seated correctly and no other devices are connected.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
you said you tried a different mobo, but with no success (no poofs of smoke i hope). if you had the old mobo out of the case to fit the new one, try taking the mobo out and placing on a sheet of cardboard (or something none conductive) and see if it will power up with the HD connected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
no poofs of smoke lol

it just didnt seem to want to recognise the hd correctly.

tried it with mobo out of box,stil same prob. psu lights come on and fans spin but then cuts out

tried connecting an ide drive with win2000 on but that cant get past the win2000 startup screen,then goes to a blue screen with some message about checking for viruses, doing a chkdisk scan andsomething else but can read asflashes up quick

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I am not quite clear on a couple of things. First of all, most boards will default to the IDE drive initially. Therefore, you may need to set your hard drive priority and boot order again. Have you dont that?

Also, if you have any IDE drives in the computer with the exception of the CDRom, then unhook them and see what it does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes all boot orders are correct, floppy, hd, cd rom, tried with hd for ide, cant get that far with the sata tho. even cleared the cmos using jumpers

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
tried connecting an ide drive with win2000 on but that cant get past the win2000 startup screen,then goes to a blue screen with some message about checking for viruses, doing a chkdisk scan andsomething else but can read asflashes up quick
if this IDE HD was setup on another mobo then the bsod are understandable. you would need to do a repair install on the OS.

but the barracuda sata HD, has it ever powered up? you have suggested that it did initially with the abit ic7-max3. if it did then take that mobo out of the case and place it on a none conductive material and see will it power up with the sata HD connected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok wil look into the first bit regarding the ide

yes the sata was fine this morning before removal.once reintalled as it was setup before it no longer worked and will not power up with the mobo in the case or on a cardboard sheet. the psu flickers then nothing. if the hd power cable is not connected then the computer turns on as normal and does a normal post but then can go no further as no hd detected due to no power cable.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
the details i got on your PSU it has only 1 sata power connector. if that is true then you could get one of these converters to try and power it off of a molex lead.

these are not ideal, but just for a test to see if you can get power to the HD on another cable. even if you have a voltmeter, i don't know how to check the voltage on a sata power connector

it does sound like the HD is shorting somewhere or the PSU is faulty. i'd try another sata HD or another PSU.

·
Banned
461 Posts
Well, usually it means that the controller board on the drive suffered a power surge and requires electronics repair.

Try to put the drive into a USB enclosure and let us know if it powers up. :)

If your controller board is damaged, then it's an expensive problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not have external USB enclosure.

I took the hard disk to my PC guy and when he plugged in the power supply, it began to spill out smoke.

That means there was a short in the drive. PC was immediately switching off as precaution.

It was Seagate Baracuda drive. I am never going to buy same brand again. I hear Western Digital drives are better. I have now bought a new WD 500GB drive. I will see how long this one will last.

I was not happy with SATA drive when I bought it anyway, so I did not keep important stuff on it.

Are SATA drives in general have a quality problem? Are WD drives any better?

Thanks for response!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Sata drives are very good, but a little more picky when you hook them up. However, that pickiness might have to do with people generally not being as familar with their operation since they have not been around as long.

WD drives are excellent, but Seagate is also a very good drive. Anyone who deals with computers very much, gets a new DOA hard drive from time to time. Just the way it is.

·
Banned
461 Posts
WD, Seagate... they are all the same - a transient medium for temporary storage of data. They will all fail. The solution is to have a robust backup system.

SATA replaced PATA.

Cheap power supplies kill drives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.