Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA Hard Drive keeps hanging

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  whodat 
#1 ·
I just finished building a computer for a buddy of mine to record music on with the following specs:

Abit VT7 Motherboard (VIA Chipset)
1GB DDR 400 Corsair RAM
Generic CDROM Drive (IDE)
Pentium 4 3.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache
Nvidia GeForce 3 64MB Video Card (AGP4X)
M-Audio Firewire Solo connected to PCI Firewire card
Generic Floppy Drive
Maxtor Diamond Max9 Plus SATA Hard Drive

I installed Windows XP pro SP2 on it, completely updated it, updated all the drivers i could find and yet the hard drive hangs and the blue screen of death appears, or it will just plain freeze and need a reboot.

I havent yet updated the BIOS on the motherboard because i was instructed to do so only if it fixed an issue which i have been unable to determine if it would.

The problem i think lies with the SATA drivers on the VIA chipset which i installed via floppy disk that came with my motherboard. Other than that I have been unable to install any specific drivers for my hard drive, it seems the SATA controller wont allow it....

I think the problem can be fixed by updating and or adding additional drivers to my hard drive but i'm am as yet unsure how to do so. Any other insights into the problem would be greatly appreciated, as well as a way to install updated SATA drivers or drivers for my Diamond max plus 9 SATA drive.

thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

This problem could be many things. Where I would start if it were mine would be to check the temps of the computer, both at-rest and under-stress. and post them so we can look at that issue. I would also monitor voltages on each rail and report them back to us.

You did a nice job of listing components, but left a very important one out. What brand name and wattage power supply are you using? Also, if I were you, I would hold on the BIOS upgrade until you evaluate the above items.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to TSF:

350 watts of power isnt going to keep that system stable and running for very long / your current situtation is like driving accross country with the accelerator to the floor / it dont last long

these systems are fussy about clean power / if they sense a strained psu or erratic voltage they shut down / I would start with a PSU replacement of 450 minnimum or 550 watt better Antec Enermax OCZ Sparkle all excellent units stay clear of the generics / the case and psu combo's are usually junk PSU's

regards

joe

#5 ·
Hi,

Your board probably has an onboard program to monitor temps and voltages, but if not, here are some links for programs that do that:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

Also, linderman and I conversed on this one and he thinks in addition to looking at the temps and voltages, you may benefit from a BIOS upgrade in this instance. You might want to go ahead and give that a try to see if it stops the rebooting.

#6 ·
The power supply is ANTEC, not whatever else i said, and it did come in a combo with the case. i'm working my way towards upgrading the BIOS, but in the mean time here are the temps:

Rest:

System: 25 degrees celcius
CPU: 31.5 degrees celcius

Stress:

System: 27 degrees celcius
CPU: 34.5 degrees celcius

#9 ·
I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version, and i've also updated all the chipset drivers found on ABIT's website. I am in the process of removing the drivers for my m-audio and reinstalling them and also trying to get some more accurate temp's from the cpu under stress, but in the meantime any more insight would be appreciated.

#10 ·
upon ugrading the BIOS, i experimented with removing the m-audio and uninstalling the drivers before running cubase sx2. the program ran fine for at least 15 minutes with no crashes.... any ideas on how to fix the apparent problem i'm having with the m-audio firewire solo?

#12 ·
I've moved the Firewire PCI card to another slot, and reinstalled the drivers for my M-Audio firewire device, still with the same results... I've contacted M-Audio hardware support as well, but any other ideas would still be extremely appreciated. something to do with the hard drive?
also should i consider upgrading the power supply or are my temps conclusive in ruling out that problem?

#14 ·
I have no idea about the M-Audio thing so I cannot help there but from overclocking experience, you case and cpu temps are great.

To compare here is what I have:

Idle:
Case: 29 degrees celcius
CPU: 31 degrees celcius

Stress:
Case: 38 degrees celcius
CPU: 40 degrees celcius

I and do a lot of heavy gaming without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.