Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the proper drivers I may need to install a second SATA hdd on a Dell system. I found what it called 'Nvidia mediashield' on Dell's support page (don't know if that link will work) but I'm not sure if that's right. I was told by another nice lad on here that I may not even need the drivers. I'm just being careful so I can be ready to get this set up.
If anyone can let me know where to find the appropriate drivers please help a dude out.
Or maybe point me in the closer direction. I'm lost when it comes to most hardware issues. Especially this SATA stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
If you already have an SATA drive working on your system, then chances are you don't need to install any additional drivers for it, since that was already done to get the original SATA drive operational. There is no harm in plugging in the new SATA drive, just remember that it must be formatted and partitioned before you will see it in XP. IF, however your mobo has an additional chip to add more SATA ports than the north/southbridge chip support, then you may need a driver if Dell did not pre install it for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I meant to mention that. There are 2 separate areas where the cables go, SATA 0 & 1 are grouped together. 2 & 3 are also grouped together.
That would make optical drive 1 on Sata 1, optical drive 2 on SATA 2 leaving SATA 3 open.

But my main problem is, IF I DO need the drivers, where on earth do I find them? I have no idea what's right when it comes to SATA.
Just looking for a location so I'm not way off track.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
From the look in the picture, you have an SATA HD on one set of headers and an Optical drive on the other....I doubt then that you need any drivers, since you already have functioning devices on each controller(s). However, the drivers would be found either on the cd's that came with the computer, or at the mfg's support website. Note, since there is no, master/slave relationship with SATA drives, when adding a device make sure to set each device as master if you add any more....priority of devices can be set within the bios

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ALL DONE!
Weeehoo.
I'm so relieved. Didn't need drivers either.
Had no fun though. I shut it down, installed the hdd
& went into my bios. I set the SATA settings to enable SATA 3
& rebooted. Wasn't there. Oh dear. Shutdown again, opened back up, took out the hdd plugged it back in MAKING SURE the cables were connected tightly & rebooted.
BINGO!
Initialized the drive in disk management but couldn't remember how to format.
Went into create a 'new partition' & formatted as such.
All done!!!

Now I have to show off my little setup.
C: & F: are on the primary hdd, a Seagate 250gb (233 in reality) -sata150- .
D: & E: are on the new Maxtor 250gb sata.

C: = 142gb, Windows & all installed programs.
D: = 116gb, some incoming files, photoshop projects, music production projects & misc files.
E: = 116gb, Incoming files (movie, tv, etc.) My Documents containing pictures, project files, all programs & appz that I use to install from rather than discs, & other misc files.
F: = 90gb, My Music (MP3's).
PLUS
298gb external usb 2.0 hdd, Backups of C: important files, & D: & E:

Thanks guys for your patience & support.
TSF rules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.