881 views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  raptor_pa 
#1 ·
Intel 946GZIS MOBO
Core 2 Duo 1.86
4 gigs 667 memory
Win7 ultimate x64
WD 250gig HD
Seagate 500g HD

2months ago I installed win7 and my pc was fine. 2 days ago i purchased a 500g Seagate hard drive to instal xp64 on it for gaming purposes. Problem being, my new sata drive has only 1 power cable plug on it, which is the thin black adapter. My old 250g sata has both the black and *********** adaptors on it. So i had to remove the small black power terminal from the old HD and plug it in the new one. From that harness, i plugged the white wire to my old HD and they each have their own SATA cable.

Problem now is my pc will not recognize my 250 gig which has win7 on it. I even tried to plug everything back the way it originaly was to no avail. The HD simply doesn't exist according to my pc. In the BIOS it isn't registering either. I am at a loss for ideas and any would be greatly welcomed right about now. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me.

#3 ·
Well back to basics is usually a good idea, so no worries there.

As far as I can tell, the Molex connector can only go in 1 way and yes, the pc was powered down and the switch was off as well when |I proceeded to do my changes. However, when I revert to the way the pc first was, there was no Molex connector on the original hard drive. As for the humming, I'll have to get back to you shortly as I don't have an answer yet.

Second thought just in case anyone is wondering, no, I am not attempting a RAID setup.

#5 ·
OK cool, the molex connectors are keyed so they should only go in one way, you'd be surprised how many manage to get it in reversed tho. Let's start with the original drive alone for the moment and see if we can get that one recognized again. Which sata port is it connected to? What is the model number of the drive? How is the SATA port configured (AHCI, IDE, Compatibility, Legacy ) in BIOS?

#6 ·
The faulty hard drive was in port 1. As for the model number, I don't know as I will have to dismantle the case and remove it to see.
The working HD is port 2 and model is ST3500418AS.

As for ur other info, here is what I could find and found relevant.

Auto mode enabled
ATA/IDE is set to native. Legacy was the other option.
S.M.A.R.T. enabled
Hard Disk Pre Delay 0
Primary master HL-DT-STDVD-RAM -ATAPI

Boot menu type normal. Other option is advanced.
Serial port enabled
Parallel port enabled
Mode ECP

Thats's all I could find that may be relevant or helpful.

#9 ·
I set it to Legacy as per requested, still no luck.
Here is the other info you requested.

Western Digital
Model: WD2500JS-08NCB1
Jan 2007 250Gig
DCM DSCANT2AAN

ROHS whatever that means.

Is it best to leave it set on AUTO in the BIOS?

I am open to other suggestions you require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.