Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My friend has a 4670 1gb which has been giving them some issues. Sometimes while starting up, it will lose signal during bios, but once it makes it into windows and the drivers take over, it works fine.

The other problem is that when running Sims 3 after a few minutes the computer shuts down. The impression I got from them was that it did this regardless of whether the game was being played, or just sitting on the menu.

The first thing I thought was the PSU:

Vantec 450w (may have been 460/470/480 etc, it was between 450 and 490w), 12v1 = 18A, 12v2 = 17A

However, I've seen people using a 4670 quite happily on a lower rated PSU with similar amp ratings.

Is this a known problem with a solution? or is the best option to get the card replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
364 Posts
i have a the same card from a different company (mine is from HIS), and its a good card. But i read that it has some overheating problems, and i ahvent had any cause mine is double slotted and stuff. But i have a feeling its cause of overheation. Maybe you need to clean your tower or put it in a cooler place

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If it isn't overheating then I would suspect the PSU. Vantecs are not very good and often can't really deliver their rated wattage, and they derate quickly as well.
He hasn't gotten around to checking temps yet, but I had told him earlier something similar too what you have just said about Vantec.

If he finds that his card isn't overheating, I'm going to be upgrading my PSU soon, so I'll give him my old one to try in place of his.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.