Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Experts,

I have a strange issue with my laptop and I wonder if anyone can advise me. I have a Samsung X65 running WinXP and it's been running fine for 18 months or so.

I don't believe I've changed anything (certainly no hardware changes) but now after running for maybe 20 minutes or so the screen strobes on and off and the laptop locks up. When I reboot the screen fills with vertical dotted lines and won't boot. If I leave it for an hour or so it will work again, but only for 20 mins or so.

My first thought was overheating, but it happily works all day in safe-mode. Virus scan (AVG) shows up nothing. I'm fully patched via Windows Update, and I run with a firewall.

As the lines show during the BIOS screen as well, I'm guessing it's hardware related. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

thanks in advance

Duncan

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Can you at least select Last Known Good Configuration? If not, I suggest you try CHKDSK /F /R in command prompt or in Recovery Console using XP install CD. If that does not help, run SFC /SCANNOW (you will need XP install CD) in the command prompt. Now if all these attempts fail, then I suggest you do an XP repair install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.