Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the problem. I managed to repair the screen thanks to one of the boards on here - thanks for that.

Its an old work comp and I have given it to my 11 yr old daughter.

When i got it it had XP Home on it, i upgraded to XP Pro.

I wanted to do a complete reformat and role everything back like new for her, so that it would be back to XP Home.

I used the disc that came with titled "System Recovery CD Windows XP Home Edition.

I had problems with it and have ended up installing XP Home as well as XP Pro, taking up a whack of memory and it didnt delete the old files etc like i thought it would.

How can i now do what i wanted which was to uninstall and reinstall it back to "as new" (yes i know the files are never truly deleted).

I still have the xp pro disc to and code.

An idiots guide would be much appreciated. Step by step please.

If this topic has been done before, sorry but to add insult to injury I have come down with flu or something too and just fading on my feet......

Thanks all.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Go to www.bootdisk.com and download the image for the Windows98 bootdisk.
Create the bootdisk, and use it to boot your daughter's machine.
At the a:> prompt, type in FDISK.
Select "Delete Non-DOS Partition", and delete the partition that shows up.
Exit FDISK, and insert the recovery cd.
Remove the floppy disk.
Reboot.

That's it .... let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to demonstrate what an english idiot i am -

Is it ok to download the Windows 98 boot for Windows XP ?

I dont have floppy and will have to download it and burn it to cd on another puter, then put the disc in the Samsung etc. That will be ok?

Thanks again - from me and my daughter!!

(I was pleased as punch being able to discover the problem about the screen throught this forum and then get instructions to source part and repair .. thanks again for that, excellent).

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
It is ok to download the boot disk for Win98 ... And, yes you can make a boot CD from it, but you'll need to follow the steps specific to your burning software (you'll still need to make the floppy first).

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.