Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old PC, Dell Dimension 4400, it's almost 4 years old, I decided to increase my HD space and got a nice 160gig HD to act as a slave, but when I installed it it shows up as only 32 gigs. When I go to Manage my computer and select properties and then volume, it shows the HD having a 152 gig Capacity, but only 32 are implemented, so I guess I installe dit correctly and the PC can see that it has much more space. I do not know what to do to fix this, I was thinking of updatiing an HD driver since it is really old, from 2001, but I couldn;t find any drivers on Microsoft website to update, and Samsung's website does not have them also, so if you have any idea to what I can do to make the HD work at full capacity please help.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Please have a look at this drive in disk management >>>> tell us if this drive is formatted as Fat32 (file system) if it was, thats your problem not a bios or driver problem

when you perform a clean install with a Win XP OS disk and select the Fat32 fiel system, it will limit the drive to 32gigs

you could convert the drive to NTFS without losing any programs or data; then you could format the balance of the drive

here is how to enter diskmanagement
http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...ks/127307-how-access-use-disk-management.html

here is how to convert your drive to NTFS

How to convert a FAT volume or a FAT32 volume to NTFS
Note Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, we recommend that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs
For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
convert e: /fs:ntfs
Note If the operating system is on the drive that you are converting, you will be prompted to schedule the task when you restart the computer because the conversion cannot be completed while the operating system is running. When you are prompted, click YES.
3. When you receive the following message at the command prompt, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER:
The type of the file system is FAT.
Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter
4. When the conversion to NTFS is complete, you receive the following message at the command prompt:
Conversion complete
5. Quit the command prompt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Drive is in NTFS. When I select the drive in Disk Management it shows that 32 Gigs are healthy and 112 Gigs are unalocated.

When I click on the box that symbolizes the unallocated part of the HD, it seems that I can partition it, but when I try to do that Wizard prompts me to create a new drive, but is it possible to just join it with my existing slave drive instead of making a separate partition?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
thats not such a bad thing

go back into Disk management right click on the unallocated chunk of drive >>>> select "format" from the menu then choose NTFS file system

when you are done you will have access to this drive partition for storage & programs etc

post back and let us know how you progress :wave:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no Format function, the choices I have when I right click on the unallocated part are: properties, create new partition and help.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
thats cool; dont sweat the little stuff :wink:

hit the partition command >>>> select 100% of space avaialble or all of the drive space availalbe / then after making a partition you will then be able to right click and perform the "format" :pray:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.