Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsung Sp1213C HD (sata) not recognized on MS-7104

9K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  jraza 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to install WinXP on my new 120GB Sata HD (Samsung SP1213C).
There are no options to enable this HD in the bios. I try to install the device when windows is being copied (Press F6), but no other window pops up. The cd just continues on...Press F2...and then the Install Windows stuff, etc...
I have the latest MB Bios. I can use an IDE drive with no problem.
Has anyone any information of what else I might need to do?

Thank you for your help,
Joe Raza

#2 ·
Welcome to TSF:

you must enable the sata controller for your mobo / to do this you must put your sata controller driver on a floppy disk / then when you install the OS / you will get to the part of "adding a third party scsi or raid controller press F6"
thats where you when you use the floppy disk with the sata driver on it.

the sata driver is generally found on the mobo cd / under drivers / there should me a "makedisk" command in the driver section which makes a special floppy drive ready for DOS as the OS loads in a DOS environment.

your mobo manual should outline the procedure for your mobo / i must admit though the common instructions are damn skimpy and almost worthless !!

take a peek on your motherboard CD and let us know what you find ????

regards

joe

#3 ·
when you boot off the XP cd it will start to load driver it is at this point hhat it will ask for you to press the F6 and you will ned the driver disk made from you motherboard CD. the direction should be in you manual.
By the way who made the MOB MS is a microstar prefix but they do not show the 7104. :4-dontkno

#4 ·
MSI makes this mobo. It's on their website at www.msi.com.tw.
I do press the F6 option, but nothing happens...
The installation just proceeds. I try to press F2 as a test and it proceeds through that as well. Not sure what's going on there. My keyboard is working. I can press NumLock and see the light on on/off, etc...
I checked MSI's website and I already have their latest BIOS.
This is a VIA chipset (VT8237). Should I check there for an update?

#5 ·
I installed WinXP on IDE, but...

SATA still not recognized. I installed the SATA drivers through windows from VIA's website...VIA Chipset VT8237, but SATA still does not show in the BIOS??? I should be able to use just one SATA drive correct??

#7 ·
There is no option in the BIOS to Enable sata

...this is why it's so confusing.
Right, I found their website and I already had their latest bios.
I downloaded it and installed it just in case and it's the same one...
I'm trying to install WindowsXP on this Sata, but can't see it at all.
I did install XP on an IDE, but that just defeats my purpose.
Now, I installed the windows drivers and XP notices the drive, but it's still not in my BIOS and I can not find, nor do I believe there is any option, where to enable sata.

#8 ·
That Board uses the same chip set as my MSI in my bios under integrated peripherals, internal SATA controller options [Enable or disable] :4-dontkno
The manual that MSi had was a Joke. I had win2k installed on an IDE drive went into device manager and installed new device installed the raid drivers that way. Then I used seagate diskwizard to copy the disk to my SATA.

#10 ·
Don't get me wrong I believe you. MSI can do some strange things. and there online manual is the pits. :sayyes: You could try this it worked for me, On the IDE drive go into control panel and go to add newhardware wiz and have it install a raid controler using the driver on the MOB disk and then using a clone program (I used seagate Diskwizard my drives are all seagate) to copy it to the SATA drive.
By the way my SATA does not show up in my bios eather. The only thing that shows is the CDRW. :4-dontkno

#14 ·
Installing the Raid on IDE

I believe I've done that.
I can access the drive in "My Computer"...
When you say "On the IDE drive go into control panel and go to add newhardware wiz", don't you just mean Go to the Control Panel/Add New Hardware wiz?
Or is there something I'm missing?
When I look in the Device Manager, I see "VIA SATA RAID DRIVER".

#15 ·
The other possability is this drive is not compatible with that board. MSI's can be real fussy about hardware and that drive is not listed on there compatibility chart Here
When I built this system I went through 2 MSI and 1 abit board. Both MSI's had SATA issues the abit the ATA didn't work. :4-dontkno

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.