Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Samsung SyncMaster SA550 LCD monitor (the 23" version).
This monitor has been like this a few years. It was working fine until one day I turned my PC off, turned it back on the next day and this issue began. Here's the situation:
  • the menu is all greyed out but the "SETUP&RESET" option, selecting it I can only go to "PC/AV Mode" which shows the two options "PC" and "AV", as if both or neither were selectec, but I can't select either;
  • the menu is clearly NOT locked as it does not show "locked" on the menu and I've tried it, believe me;
  • the "Check Signal Cable" square shows up with the colors and letters all right, but when I connect it to a PC (that is turned on or my ps3) the monitor shows on the top left corner "hdmi", then "analog", and then "hdmi" again but quickly flickers to black;
  • I can't reset it to factory because the menu is frozen in "SETUP&RESET", as I've mentioned above that the OSD is frozen;
  • I've downloaded and installed the monitor's firmware and it's update and I've tried reinstalling it to no effect;
  • I opened the back pannel and couldn't find anything burnt out or broken.
I have yet to find a solution to this, because I haven't found anything like this on the internet. Does anyone know if there is a manual way or a button hidden inside to force a reset to factory? Or any other way to fix this?

I also made a post on Samsung's site and got a few replies, but none work. Some of the comments were from people with different monitors but the same problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you want to go through the trouble, you can solder in new hdmi port but it really seems like more trouble than it is worth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
So if you've tried both hdmi and vga and they both do not work, then I find it unlikely that both broke at the same time and any hardware problems past that point in the signal chain is getting into electronics repair which would require things like taking electrical readings and soldering etc.

And I'm not sure if there is any other way you could interact with the software other than what they give you like in the menu. Any software on there is probably proprietary and might not even be supplied by the company.

Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you've tried both hdmi and vga and they both do not work, then I find it unlikely that both broke at the same time and any hardware problems past that point in the signal chain is getting into electronics repair which would require things like taking electrical readings and soldering etc.

And I'm not sure if there is any other way you could interact with the software other than what they give you like in the menu. Any software on there is probably proprietary and might not even be supplied by the company.

Sorry.
I'm really thankful for the help and attention. I also think it's something software related. I was hoping to find any sort of help or even other people with the same/similar problem.

I would imagine a monitor like this would have some sort of "manual reset button" to force reset it or something, in the case the OSD got stuck like mine did.

Anyway, gonna keep looking, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts