Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading about how MS is trying to control the spread of pirated versions of Windows by checking your computer at update time. I bought my refurb computer already installed with Windows from the seller. I assume it's alegit version- he entered in a code. But what if it isn't. By allowing MS to check and validate my version in order to download updates, if they find it's not valid is there a process they use to shut down my computer entirely so that it becomes non-functional? I'm afraid to continue in case this happens.

Can anyone let me know what goes on in this new process of their's.

thanks

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
From what i am hearing it just will not let you download the updates and other items. I also heard they take you to a page and offer you a free or reduced price legit copy if you tell them where yours came from.

·
Registered
559 Posts
That is true.. however i believe it is free if u name the person who sold it.. however you do not have to validate windows in most cases. Some illegal versions are called safe and allow updates. If not.. u can get on other sites and download ur updates free.
-blitze

·
Registered
722 Posts
I read an announcement from M$ that they were allowing security [critical] updates on all copies, pirated or legit.
And it's safe to try with whatever you are running...nothing happens if it's a non-legit one, except as already stated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The official stance is that MS know they can't...at the moment stop illegal copies of OS's being used...

They also have to be on the right side of the law...this means they CAN NOT legally begin a process of finding out who you are via the OS being used on their site...this is down to the Privacy & Data Protection acts.

Also MS can't in any, way over the wire, start ANY process of stopping the offending OS from running...this is down to the above act plus they would need to do a full investigation on each OS first before they could carry out ANY lawful act!
Imagine the MS update site mistaking an OS which was trying to download updates as a pirated copy, so they crashed the system and all data was lost..and that system turned out to be a legall copy with vital data stored..they would be sued in a heart beat!!

To summarise: MS can't & won't be able (lawfully or otherwise) to cease and desist existing OS's. They can only stop people from downloading updates...and that is not that successful.

I personally run a legal copy of XP, this is due to my conscience!! I can say however...after using downloaded OS's in the past, I felt a kind of weight lifting off of me when installing a legally purchased copy!!

I let you decide! :grin:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the simplest answer to this question, is that no, it will not punish you by switching off your copy of xp.

it will however attempt to get you to do the right thing....

i have seen it first hand with a machine i was working on, and nothing happened.

and also, i was still able to download all the updates for them.

just for kicks i will mention that his was a dell computer, and so i have no idea why it failed the authenticity test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be a legal OS fro MS it needs to have the original install cd (doesn't have to be the holographic one!), a COA (cert of auth) and even with this...if your copy of, lets say XP pro is OEM, then you are unable to install it on any other computer, even if the old system has been destroyed!

So I wanted to buy retail to have no other problems in the future!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
that's a good reason for wanting to buy a retail copy.

myself, i'd be happy with just a license if that's all i could get, but retail is the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.