Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fix my brother's computer after he opened a trojan attached to an email. The email was the one saying your credit card had been charged for airline tickets.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3100 running Windows XP SP2.

The first problem is that after normal login there is a blue screen with a yellow window in the window with the message

"Warning! Spyware detected on your computer! Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer."

There are no icons visible. The only action I can perform is CTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Windows Task Manager. I told my brother to start in Safe Mode from which he scanned the computer using AVG Free Edition which was installed before the infection. This did not fix the problem.

Starting Safe Mode I now get a black screen with Safe Mode in the corners and the operating system name at top. The blue login screen then comes up with Administrator and my brothers account. I click on Administrator and I get the same black screen as before with Safe Mode in the corners and the writing at top. My brothers account does the same. There are no icons or Start button visible.

Again, the only program I can bring up is the Windows Task Manager. Using that, I managed to install and run SmitfraudFix which was given as a solution to "Spyware detected" screen. After rebooting this did not fix the problem. I also installed SpyHunter 3.5.11 which found Zlob.Trojan, Rogue.AntivirusXP 2008 plus some other spyware cookies and files. These were removed from the computer.

Unfortunately, this did not remove the Start Mode black screen and "Spyware detected" screens. The only thing I can find to do next is a Windows XP repair using the Windows XP install CDROM. However, before I try that, is there anything else you could recommend to get rid of these screens?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.