Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just noticed this (attached). Wut R these & is it safe 4 me 2 delete?

Thanks,
Jill

Attachments

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi jilly,
Couple of questions...first up what is the program that you have been using ?

Secondly,..the amount of space is neglible [43Kb], and if your machine is working ok...just read my signature. :grin:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi In Down Under Again!

Not sure wut U mean by wut program? This was in disk Mgmt in XP Pro, nevah saw it before, so don't know wut it is storing!!!!

But also true, I am compulsive cleaning maniac......and sometimes get into trouble because of it!

Have insane thingy re keeping my two 80GBs HDDs......at under 9GBs filled.....I know, I SAID IT IS INSANE, ok?

So maybe I should just leave it alone? But wut is it?

Jilly

PS: R "CONSOLE CHANGES" graphics? Wut is a console?
U need a decoder ring 4 this stuff, oK?:rolleyes:

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
They are just files that have been stored when you change the proifile...maybe you added a desktop icon or whatever...once again don't be concerned...read my signature!!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O! Bingo! I change things every 11 mins! New programs, new optical drive, new lighscribe, new Uniblue software bought to address & also defrag registry.......NOW I think I get it!

But now also think safe 2 delete. I will give it another 7 mins of careful thought.:laugh:

Thank U David!!!!!
Jilly

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Jill, don't do it. You know it will end in tears.

Tie your hands behind your back and don't mess with the computer if it's working. :laugh: :tongue:

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi Jill,

Deleting things that you can not look at and know exactly what they are can be risky. However, there is always a lot of trash on a computer hard drive that I too ditch regularly.

Little bit of advice....make a new restore point on your computer before or if you intend to hit that "kill" button. That way, if something goes wrong, you can recover.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
U R both adorable......yes, the ending in tears thingy....leeetle too familiar, yes, clean, it clean it, make it lean, no glut, dump the loggggs, and everything NOT NEEDED... my addiction.

Tumble: AGAIN....U R manifesting Mr. Proust! Make new resatore point! How obvious!

I will try to rein myself in on this....thank U for bringing the Net. Also being on it.:grin:

Jilly

David,

U R asking 4 me to post my installed softwares? I can do this easily via Astra 32. But in trial version can not put report on notepad, but could do with screenshot.

Someone should write little sticky re "Do Not Delete the Following Stuff!"

though I may B the only human who needs that....
J.

Snailing right along.....between clients....

I did delete whole bunch of error logs and alert logs I nevah knew existed. Can not let the reckless(sense of adventure) fade, hah.

After making new Tumblepoint....new name for it----I just went back intending to delete these CONSOLE thingies....and got additional warning which I will attach.

This really does sound like all my compulsive tweakings to get every little thing as I want it in this system.......and now that I have the new Tumblepoint, I am going to do this......so my HDDs remain at 88% free, mb by mb, kb even--- wherevah needless stuff is hiding/lurking/clogging.

Why? I do not know.
But it does make defrag run like the wind.....given there is nothing much to defrag!

And who cares why, now that I have Lightscribe?!!
Jill

OK hooooldddd on a minute.....

A little Googlng always Good. Just came upon THIS.....
http://www.theeldergeek.com/microsoft_management_console.htm
....also another link from some guy asking how 2 disable this.......so methinks I have leeetle more learning/reading 2 do now........cause kicking anything/anyone to curb with alacrity.....not Good, OK?

And not just because it could make you cry. Though that....is huge. Also, because U C U have stuff to learn.

Jill

OK....boy, was this interesting (re above link)....I think, given I could go on changing/customizing stuff in this console I did not know existed before...e.g. changing say videos opening with Media Player versus Quicktime Player.....it would be safe to delete.

Because it appears it really is only a kind of log.....and would not preclude future changes/options.

If I missed something....someone pls say. There is no end to this stuff, boy. XP seems 2 keep track of EVERYTHING.

Thanks!
J.

one more....

Am not sure if I will ever, purposefully make a custom console and name it....but just saw that this is now available and backward compatible with XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_framework

Is this something we should have? Don't think this was in criticial updates/hotfixes. But I could be wrong. Cause I am now confused.
J.

Just 2 say.....will admit reading about the console freaked me a little. For once I am being less reckless.....want to delete these stored configurations.....but 51% worried about the "bringing of the TEARS":eek: , OK?

SMALLER % TELLS ME, DUMP IT, IT IS NOT NECESSARY....IT IS JUST A log.....but when someone I respect way above my paygrade talks about the tears...ominously a little.......it apparently impacts and foot moves more toward the brake pedal than the floor it! accelerator pedal.

This is good, right? But I now C I do not like living in fear of any machine. (Or machines trying 2 pass for humans.) Is the thing. Cause I know lots of people who do.

Jill-in....Chill-in.
If I loose it and mess up....I will report back. First play Christina track "Hurt" wherein she steps up and risks "My Bad, Dad." Major Music.

J.

Attachments

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi Ariesjill :smile:

You might want to have a read of this too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

I use this feature but cautiously. If you have 3rd party software such as EasyCleaner, CCleaner and others so called junk cleaners, then there's no need to use this feature as most of the well preferred ones perform better with more control, options and features than the inbuilt XP one.

The Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is needed yes, and you will have at least one version of it buried around somewhere on a XP cputer. Although you may have the older version as this was released much later.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Hi, Kalim:

Yes, I have both utilties and they comprise only maybe 1/5 of my armantarium. You get....that the "log" I am trying to get clear on the safety of deleting isn't malware or invalid anything, right?

It comprises former, custom configurations in the console.

Thanks, Kalim,
Jill

PS downloaded NET framework 2 long ago.

Addendum: if I can't control myself, I wold now have to make another new Tumblepolint of course. but also good that I do incremental updates of my backup drive via XXclone every few days, and so I could get them identical, and if I loose it and delete and mess up....I could also do reverse drive update via XXclone. I Luuuuuuv XX clone and did not mind buying reg version at all.

How murky was that, exactly? I mean, on a scale of 1-10.
Jilly

Well.....even the odds in Vegas reflected I couldn't ULTIMATELY resist this one, oK?

Just made new Tumblepoint, ran all my scans, defragged and hit "DO IT" on second warning screen & deleted the previous custom thingies in the Console. I know, under 50 mbs but I just could not....NOT, OK? AND I did research, read and chill for a while.

Rebooted....nothing exploded or appears missing or dysfunctional.

If and when the sword drops and pierces the CPU in my HEAD.....given I have made a NOTE, someone will find it and make the final post in this thread......re DO NOT DO THIS; she is not in tears, she is DEAD, OK? Bet CSI Miami won't figure THIS one out, OK?:4-dontkno :danraksmirk:

Middle gear between paralyzing fear and recklessness......called judiciousness, right? A work in progress, no question. And even the latter offers no guarantees.

Now, Jilly will calm down from her little bungee jump...which it appears so far..... was NOT. and I do have that new Tumblepoint....just in case.:wave: But I don't want 2 be responsible for any misery if someone else uses this little adventure as sme proof of anythng entirely safe.
So everyone register the events, but be waaaay careful, please!

Jill

If the attached helps anyone interested in this thingie....it sure helped me stop worrying about impending doom. I naturally went back just now and checked the "log" after having deleted the original.

It is starting to build again---or, perhaps like restore points, has retaied the last configuration.......was just under 40MBs when I did this earlier.......and that was after well over a year using the original installation I still have (if on 2 new cloned HHDs).

So we can C by this.....this isn't some monster building at warpspeed, but also can be deleted without mysterious saliva dripping monsters appearing.

For me, every little bit of new knowledge....helps.

Finis.
Jill

sorry, something wrong, having trouble staying logged onto this site and upload did not complete....I keep having 2 log on ovah & ovah. will try upload again.

No good, no upload window appears via manage attachments. Screenshot I tried 2 upload, now shows 3.85KBs. Also couldn't edit the above to try upload again.....maybe TSF server keeling ovah and everyone needs 2 make contributions if they can.
J.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.