Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello and thanks for any feedback for the new guy on the block.

i have a laptop that has an s-video output. when i plug the s-video into my tv i get no signal through the tv. I'm sure I'm missing somthing here, but I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
with my video card i do afew simple steps.
plug in the svideo while the computer and tv are off
turn the 2 on
set the tv to Video # that refers to svideo, if u dont know flip untill you get a signal.

if it doesnt work then, there may be some setting on the computer or a incompatibility.
if you have an external keyboard put the laptop monitor down and it may have more power for the svideo.

and finally. if the svideo cable is longer then 12 feet you may need to straighten it out to get a signal, the s-video signals are very weak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying.

I tried shutting down, plugging everything in, and restarted. A very weird thing happened - it worked, the TV displayed my computer throughout the boot process and held the "welcome screen" image (where i put password in). Unfortunatly, once i enter password and it goes to my desktop I lose the picture on my tv!

Any clue?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Go into display properties and advanced. Look for a tab in there for monitors or display. Should be a way to enable the sgva out.

If this does not work, post back with more details on the laptop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cannot find any reference to SVGA in the display properties. Under advanced settings in the display window i have a tab caLLLEd "monitor", on this tab i have a "monitor type" heading which has 4 seperate listings for "Default monitor", when i highlight each one of these and click "properties" they all say the device is working properly.

My laptop is a dell latitude c600. video is ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Your laptop should have the famous FN key. Look for that and then look over the F-keys at the top. You should see one that has to small boxes, one solid and one empty. That's the combo for enabling TV out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I do have a "FN" key. When I try it in conjuction w/ the "two little monitor" key nothing seems to be happening.

After watching what is hapening a little more closely it appears the signal out to the tv is working for a limited time (about 20 seconds), then shuts off. It doesn't have anything to do with logging in at the welcome screen. If I get the password in quick enough the desktop image does appear on the tv for a short time.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Ok, right click on the dkestop and choose Properties. Click the Settings tab and look at the window in the middle. It should show 2 boxes. One will be solid and the other checkered. Click on the checkered one and click inside the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" box below it near the OK button. Make sure the resolution isn't above 800x600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not seeing multiple windows.

Here is a screen shot of the display settings. also what the tabs under the advanced in display settings window show.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
i dont know what you have for video settings and what not on a laptop, but the 20 second timer or after the desktop comes up kind of thing generally is due to settings kicking in after the desktop comes up, i know i get that with my nvidia settings. so that could narrow things down if its at the same time as other settings adapting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
same thing here

Okay, maybe if I share some here we can figure this out.
I have been haing the exact same problem for about 6 months. Still nothing.
I have a :

Dell Latitude CPx
Pentium III
489 MHz 256 MB Ram
ATI Rage Mobility mulitiple monitor support
Running XP Pro OS w/SP 2

display adapters shows nothing new here...supported and functioning
No icon of multiple monitors, but it reads mulitple monitor support
there is NO window option to extend video/monitors

monitors icon shows all functioning ie: flat panel Lcd, Generic Television and default Monitor

Bios is set right and reads functioning
all things point to NOTHING wrong..but hmmmmmm

still no Svideo at all.

I do have full use of external default monitor
oh yea and this is for the other guy too,

To switch your video output manually you need to use your function key (FN)...you knew that,

BUT the OTHER key you use is your (F8) key. NOT your F5 key. (this is the one with the two monitor looking icons - don't use it)

On the keyboard It reads (F8 CRT/LCD.) This is your video function key.
This is supposed to set your different displays up. Mine work good except for Svideo out.

Settings are LCD Flat (laptop)only
LCD Flat AND Monitor
Monitor only

I tried restarting with the TV off and on, I do get the same result as above, the TV and or monitor WILL come on for a couple of seconds at start up after the welcome screen it goes off.

I have purchased a NEW Rf converter and A/B switch and set it up to test different things on the Other side of the switch.

I hooked up the Svideo out to the switch on one channel and the other to a DVD player. The Rf converters have a red light that comes on when there is a video signal. When the DVD player is turned on the red light comes on, when my Game box is turned on the red light is on, when my karaoke machine is turned on and you get the point....BUT when you switch to the laptop the light goes out immediatedly which means there is NO video Signal coming from the computer at all!

BUT isn't the video card also controlling the LCD and The external VGA out??
and if it is then the card is not bad, cause both the LCD and VGA out to monitor work good.

I have had a lot of good people that thought they were computer GODS learn to hate me and my computer...cause they can't fix it.....
oh yea, DELL still says there is nothing wrong with it...lol

One last thing if we can't get the Svideo to work........

SINCE my VGA does work okay, is there an adapter to run the VGA pin output plug to an RCA TV input or to a TV Svideo input?? That would take care of everything and to hell with the Svideo...

This computer is a hard worker, runs great other than the Svideo,...
I use this computer for Mobile DJ work running two 160 gig HDs with 70,000 songs, But I need Video so i can use it for karaoke also.

LETS SEE IF I CAN ALIENATE ONE MORE GURU. (I hope not!)
ANY TAKERS??
Thanks for any help you can give!
DISCCO

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for adding DISCO. Sounds like we are in the exact same boat. I too have stumped all the tech guys in my office w/ this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paladin-X said:
FN+F8 is meant for switching modes with the Laptop LCD and an external vga/dvi monitor, not svideo. I also noticed that you don't have any ATI tabs in your display properties. Update your video card drivers

http://support.dell.com

Okay, I checked with the guy that worked on it last and he said the same thing.

I just got confused.
The thing with the F8 key is because that is where the conversation turned to at that point, if I couldn't get the Svideo to work we would go that route.

The Svodeo should work without doing anything to the computer except plugging in the dang cable!!! Why is this so stinkin hard to get it to do what it is supposed to do in the first place??

I have downloaded the latest video card drivers as of 5/12 and again on 6/28 just to be sure and there is no change.

explain what you mean by [ATI Tabs] there are absolutely no options in my display properties to change anything on the video card.

Am I just misled, do I not have a support for the Svideo?

·
Registered
54 Posts
As for the ATI tabs, I was refering to the original poster's screen shot of his display properties. Typically, when you go to display properties, settings, advanced, there should be a few extra tabs with the ati logo on them as well as the default ones (monitors, color, etc)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.