Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a Qosmio G25-AV513 laptop and we want to hook it up to his 5.1 surround sound system. The system is a home theater system based around a Sony Dolby Digital/DTS receiver. Supposedly the headphone jack on the laptop doubles as a S/PDIF output per the instruction manual, and thus I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable designed for coaxial digital signals connecting the computer to the receiver. The manual says this is an optical S/PDIF output, however it seems this is impossible because it is a standard 3.5mm connector. The receiver gets no signal, and thus no sound is produced. He mainly wants this for listening to music, but also for when watching downloaded video files in Media Player. Does anyone know how to enable the digital signal so that this setup will work, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If the laptop lacks a real S/PDIF output then the solution is a PCM-CIA card with that type of connector. Also, check in the settings (if available) and the volume controls for an option to enable/disable digital output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the laptop lacks a real S/PDIF output then the solution is a PCM-CIA card with that type of connector. Also, check in the settings (if available) and the volume controls for an option to enable/disable digital output.
I've checked the settings and volume control for this. I did find the option for PCM and AC3 codecs to be enabled, but still no sound. What do you mean by a "real" S/PDIF output? From what I've read, a 3.5mm can be used for coaxial digital output, and the manual lists the headphone jack as being an S/PDIF output. However, from my understanding it cannot be an optical S/PDIF output, which is perfectly fine by me as long as it works as described as a coaxial digital out. Are you implying that the headphone jack cannot actually double as an S/PDIF output?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You are correct. It is impossible for it to be an optical audio output. You would need a fiber optic audio cable for that. It could be a digital coax output, which is also S/PDIF. What sound card is this? You should be able to enable digital S/PDIF output instead of analog.

Another option is to just use the common 3 x 3.5 mm jacks and send an analog 5.1 signal to the receiver. But we should investigate the possible digital coax, as that will give better sound quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.