Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..about a month ago i downloaded a file that was full of spyware and it just completey affected my computer with a bunch of stuff. SO i did a complete factory restore and restored everything on the computer to its factory condition,BUt ever since i done that my computer seems to be a lot slower. Like when i open up my pictures folder it takes forever to load up and seems to freeze up a lot of times. When i dont touch the computer for a while and come back to what i was doin it takes a while to run correctly (seems like its loading somethin..like i click on explorer or whatever and it just seems like it taking forever..but then it starts running normal after bout 15 seconds)...its bothering me a lot...and it just seems that my computer used to be a lot better and a lot faster than this b4 the restore. alright thank you very much. :cool:

compaq presario xp

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
i did a complete factory restore
please go into your device manager through your control panel - hardware
make sure there arent any yellow ! marks indicating a hardware conflict.

if the device manager is clean, proceed to running scans from the links below
try housecall - spybot - ewido

then run cleanup
[are you running norton?]
postback

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi toppappi

As whosdat suggested, run a disk cleanup, after that i would also suggest that you run chkdsk and defragment your HDD. Its possible that the drive is cluttered and is a reason for the lag u experience. If ur running the built in tool, defragment in safe mode. Hope it makes a difference. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
if you restore it again, leave out norton and use one of the links below, avg - ewido- kas..all free
perhaps norton is hanging your system up.
i would like you to go into bios to make sure your hard drive is still running in the dma mode.
post back

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
tap delete as your machine first starts up....tap tap tap
once in bios, in the main menu, it should list your primary hard drive.
mine is set to auto, smart enabled and the pio option is greyed out, so its a non issue with mine.
post back

·
Registered
10 Posts
how do you "factory restore" a machine? I'm having trouble with one of my pc's.. I can't get the network card all figured out.. Could try that, since I have nothing to lose on that machine..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.