Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a program called Laplink Disk Image on which I have created backups of my hard drive, each time I had to do a clean install because of a virus situation/or something else. But, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I can no longer mount those disk images in order to search them as hard drives, even if I buy the newest version.

I was thinking maybe what I could do is run Windows XP and 7 (choosing from a menu) from a USB in order to access them with the old version of laplink I have. If this would work, I mean. Is there any way to access the main hard drive when you are running XP or 7 from a USB drive. Or, in order for it to work I would have to install XP or 7 on my computer, not just run it from a hard drive?

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
227 Posts
It may be a new security measure to protect the backups to not allow opening or mounting of images inside Windows.
I cannot mount/open Macrium images without going through Macrium first. This is a security measure implemented by Macrium.
Can you open Laplink and navigate to the image and open it from there?

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
Have you tried installing the old LapLink software under Windows 10?

You may need to use compatibility mode, but I'd try a straight install of the last version you used that worked with these backups first. Then, if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall with compatibility mode.

I have a number of truly ancient programs that have no issue whatsoever running under Windows 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts