Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am wondering if anyone might know a way to get the windows 98 se operating system to run more than once on a machine, or some type of shell that will emulate windows. there are a few things i would like to be able to run two of....:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry....but that's just not gonna' happen. What you might wanna' do is run Windows NT4 /Termianl Services or Windows 2000 Server which has Terminal services as part of the base product. With Win2k w/T-Services....you can run as many instances of an application as you want to...each running in it's own "session". You could also configure each instance of the application to run differently as each session runs independent of the others...

Hope that helps.....

NetEngineer....

www.wsbconsulting.com/index1.htm

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would i want to?

well, i can tell you the reason i want to,there are some programs that run out of windows, that will not allow a second occurance of it running at the same time. for example, msn messenger. now there is a polygamy program for msn messenger, but not for the rest of the stuff i would like to run twice. i have seen someone running windows inside of windows before, inside of its own pretty little window, but i cannot find this person now, and i need to know how to do this type of thing. something about starting windows inside of a protected mode ms dos prompt, and then running a pirated autoexecute file. anyway, i didnt expect anyone here to be able to help...X(

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
What you're looking for is for something like Virtual PC or VMware, they allow you to load multiple O/S instances and run them simultaneously in their own "virtual machine". Getting all of this running will take some time, but it does work...

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Re: why would i want to?

bob vila said:
. anyway, i didnt expect anyone here to be able to help...X(

If you didn't expect anyone to be able to help why ask. If you know so much then you should've known how to solve the problem yourself.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: Re: why would i want to?

Drupy said:
If you didn't expect anyone to be able to help why ask. If you know so much then you should've known how to solve the problem yourself.
Even if you aren't expecting help, you just might get it if you ask. You might also educate others in the process.:D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
first off, some of you are too sensative, in the first place, i wasnt trying to be smart and rude, i was simply explaining why i would want to do this...

and for second, the reason i didnt expect to get any help, is because everyone i talk to says i will not ever be able to do this, i again wasnt trying to be smart and/or rude.

anyway, i dont think you all have to come up with good comebacks at me, since this is not a verbal battlefield.

and grow up.

but johnny, i would like to know more about this virtual os, since that sounds like the way to go on this one.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thank you johnwill,and i am sorry i got your name wrong and called you johnny, i went to both sites, and the vmware is meant to run on windows 2000 or higher, so i didnt have any luck there. i am going to try to install the virtualpc program and see if it is the same way. thank you for posting more details.

·
Registered
529 Posts
...and here I am trying to find a decent Windows emu for Linux (without having to run Windows to do it!):winkgrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.