Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a problem. I am running windows Xp Service Pack 3. I recently decided a wanted to play an older Game. (Thief: The Dark Project). After discovering that it wouldn't run in Xp computers with sevice pack Two or newer I decided to run another operating system Via Virtual Machine. So In comes Windows 2000. I install the game successfully but have the problem of the mouse being extremely jerky. With the controls working perfectly fine from the keyboard. I know I have more than enough Power at a AMD Athlon(Tm) 64 Bit processor at 3500+ 2 Gb Of Physical memory and 1.87 Of Virtual. Also a Nivida 7200..

Any Help? Please.

·
Registered
585 Posts
what are you using to host your virtual machine?

did you install your virtual machine additions? they vary, but i'm using virtual box now and they are called guest additions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a system just a tad bit more powerful than yours, and warcraft2 doesn't work very well in a virtual machine for me. Is your CPU constantly at 100% usage when running the game in a virtual machine? You might be out of luck. Virtual machines suck for gaming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using Virtual Box Also. I installed the guest additions. Made for better picture and full screen as far as I can tell.

And Thank You For The Reply

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mythrack. Thanks For The Reply. I may be. But the funny thing is as said before. There is no lag. Only The Mouse is Malfunctioning

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I googled your game a bit, and there may be some workarounds for getting the game to run under XP.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#install
Apparently the game came out at the time Windows 98 and NT 4.0 (predecessor of 2000) were around. NT had lousy DirectX (3 I think) support, so when the installer sees an NT-based OS (2000, XP) it assumes it can't run.

There's a couple of other potential glitches you can run into if your XP installation CD was SP2 already (no indeo codec, not autoexec.nt), but they have steps dealing with those too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You So Much For the reply, but I have already managed getting it to install. It always crashes on startup and I cant seem to find a way to turn of hyperthreading as some say to b the problem......

By the way. I downloaded this game off a torrent. Not the offical Cd. So that may factor into it. But I dont thing So. Im decent enough with a computer to be ale to mount a virtual cd, ect. I am doing so on 2000 and managing to get it to start up. I also made sure that I had direcx 7 installed on 2000 and I have version nine on my xp

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Did you try to run it in compatibility mode? Go to the program files folder, and right-click the program file, compatibility tab, then set it for Windows 98.
As for disabling hyperthreading, I think that's done in the BIOS. During boot, you'll see "press key X to enter setup". Browse through the menus and see if anything can turn off hyperthreading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got It to work Via Virtual Box. Just Configured the controls to where I dont need the mouse. Thank You All For Your Suggestions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.