Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I hope you can help me find out what is causing my computer to run so slowly. It takes 3-4 min. to fully start up. opening programs such as ms word takes a few minutes. even clicking on the start button, it can take 30 seconds before it displays the menu for the start button!
also, any audio sounds like the chipmonks. high pitched but normal speed. this happens to all sound and music.
I don't know what info you require but here is the specs on the computer..
HP pavilion 503n
1.7 ghz
128mb ddr sdram
40 Gb hard drive
I have the current Notron av and spybot which come up clean.
You guys did a great job removing a spyware issue from my machine a few months back.
I hope you can help with these issues! Thanks for all your efforts!
Pat

·
Registered
210 Posts
How much space is free on the hard drive? Have you tried defragging? When did the problem start? Did anything seem to trigger it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
13gb free space in hard drive.
I did defrag the drive a couple moths ago. I just run the analize tool and it say no need to defrag at this time.
The problem with slow start up has been there for quite a while. I have noticed the entire system seems be gradually getting slower over time. I can't think of any specific triggers.
Pat

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you haven't picked up any virus on the scans, then it might actually be a hardware problem. Try cleaning out your PC, if it's not a difficult one to take apart. If it's a pain to open up, try a hijackthis log first, which you should post in the security section.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel you definitely need more RAM than 128 MB. Most likely that will solve ur problem (will make the system and ur boot faster) since u seem to have tried almost everything else. Try it, might well be worth the price. You might also want to trim your start up list if you have too many items loading. Also run a disk cleanup and delete your prefetch.
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36979.aspx
If the MFT/ paging file is fragmented would also be a gud idea to defrag using some third party tool if needed. here are a cuple of links you cud check out-
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx/

·
Registered
210 Posts
More RAM would help, but it's not the cause of the problem. You should be able to run programs with 128mb and not lag so severely. Plus, your comp wasn't so slow when you got it, so there must be something wrong. Clean your PC, defrag, and run the hijack log before you spend cash you might not need to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go to start - run. type in "msconfig" then click ok. Click on the startup tab. Disable anything that looks unfamiliar to you. If you are unsure what some of the process are, be sure to do a google search on them before disabling.

This advice I normally give to advanced users because you can really mess things up if you disable the wrong processes. If you are not comfortable with this, post a screenshot of your msconfig file and we can tell you what is good/bad.

Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for your input. I cleaned out the machine and added 512 more ram. Runs very fast now!
Thanks everyone!
Pat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.