Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have the Dell Xps 15 9560 laptop (128gb ssd + 1tb hdd, around 5 years old). I know I should've bought another model with more space but it was a panic buy because my previous laptop died. Mainly used it for light browsing, watching films and photoshop. Tonight I was attempting to move stuff off my hdd and the space remaining on ssd went from 25gb to 19gb within 10 mins. I have no idea what is filling the space so fast. Wiztree shows it is system files that takes up the most space.

Will a fresh windows install solve the problem? Is there any other method I can try? Thanks.

Colorfulness Computer Light Rectangle Font

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,488 Posts
As stated, Press the Windows Key +X and select Disk Management to see if there is any Unallocated Space on your drive not being used in the lower pane.
The largest used space currently on your drive is for System Volume Information which houses your System Restore Points. You can limit the size of System Restore to save space, or turn it off all together and just make regular Image files of your computer and save it to your 1TB drive instead. That would give you 39 GB back. You can also move you C:\Users\UserName files to the 1 TB drive using the Location tab of each folder. That would be another 8 GB of free space
You can also just get a larger SSD and clone the old 128 GB to a much larger one, using Macrium Reflect or your favorite Cloning/Imaging software

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As stated, Press the Windows Key +X and select Disk Management to see if there is any Unallocated Space on your drive not being used in the lower pane.
The largest used space currently on your drive is for System Volume Information which houses your System Restore Points. You can limit the size of System Restore to save space, or turn it off all together and just make regular Image files of your computer and save it to your 1TB drive instead. That would give you 39 GB back. You can also move you C:\Users\UserName files to the 1 TB drive using the Location tab of each folder. That would be another 8 GB of free space
You can also just get a larger SSD and clone the old 128 GB to a much larger one, using Macrium Reflect or your favorite Cloning/Imaging software
Thanks for helping :). My laptop is running much faster now with the extra space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts