Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windows file rundll32.exe was infected with a virus. It took me over a week and some help from the nice people in the forum :D but i manages to stop the virus from opening with windows. Even though the virus wont turn on anymore, i still have the infected rundll32.exe

Is it posible to just copy this file from some other computer using windows me and replace mine with it? Or download it form the web and do the same thing.

If that works, then does anyone have this file to send me a copy of :) ?

Jamie.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Boot to a command prompt (You will need a bootable disk, either cd or floppy with cd rom drivers)

Put the windows me disk in the cd
goto cd rom drive (ie d:)
Type:
cd win9x
Extract /a *.cab rundll32.exe /l c:\Windows

Hopefully this works for you...............
If you cannot find the extract.exe file in the win9x folder, then post back.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that i dont have my windows me disk, cant remember where i left it :p
Will a differnet version of windows work or does it have to be a ME disk? I got XP and 98

Also, is there anywhere on the net to download this rundll32.exe file for windows me?

·
1,038 Posts
Look on your hard drive.
Do a find files or folders.
Look for *.cab on your harddrives.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes you reminded me! D:\windows\options\install there is a copy of the disk!!!! It has all the install files for my windows doesnt it :) Ok then, how do i get out the right file from there, and how do i replace the one in D:\windows with it in DOS?

·
1,038 Posts
do a find for files or folders
*.cab
containing text
rundll32.exe

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok i found the file in WIN_17.cab
Ok this cab is on the pc under D:\Windows\Options\Cabs
What is the dos command (the exact command, i am lame at dos hehe) to copy the rundll32.exe from this cab at this location to the windows folder at D:\Windows ??

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
OK, let's see what's really there...

Download Hijack This from the link below (a quick start page, so it will have more info for you).

Create, save and copy your log and paste it here. We'll take a look at it and see what is left.

Please don't fix anything, as this one is sneaky and you could delte something that you need.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol what are you on about? I am not trying to close down any apps or start-up programs, I did that in a differnent thread to get rid of a virus. All i need right now is to replace my rundll32.exe file with an original copy from the windows cab files.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I guess I did not understand that you had deleted the original file.

There is so much misunderstanding about the confusion caused by the bogus run32dll files that I am always trying to make sure that people delete the correct one.

A lot of well-meaning folks are causing more pain than is necessary by having the wrong file deleted (often leaving the malware in place.

Again, my apologies.

·
1,038 Posts
Extract (name of cab file) rundll32.exe /l c:\Windows

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok i did what you said in dos but with a little problem, as i did it an error came up saying something about not enough memory. I rebooted and came back into windows to find nothing will open, then i rememberd that is what happens when the rundll32.exe is not there. I took a look and it was gone, so i had no trouble just gioing to the cab file and extract the rundll32.exe into the windows folder, from windows and not dos :p
All seems to be working now, and i have got the original rundll32.exe back into my windows folder.
Thanks for the help :)

Another little thing i need, no one seems to have responded to my other post:
I am trying to reduce system restore as it is set to take up about 5gb of space. I know where to go to do this but i cant move the indicator on the bar. Is there any other way to reduce the maximum system restore alowed?

·
1,038 Posts
From what I've researched, turn restore back on. Then you can tell it it can't use more than 200mb(the minimum). I think you can only adjust the slider if it is turned on.

After that, I have found nothing to solve it if it doesn't move for you.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok i have tried what you said. I turned system restore back on, and was then asked to restart so i did so. As windows turned back on i went to check it, and it was still whitched off. I tried 2 more times but every time i restart windows it turns back off again :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.