Tech Support banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What about the Ram voltage? My Corsair DD3 Memory stick has a 1.65V marking does that mean max Volt or should it be run at that? presently it's set to 1.60V I never went to 1.65V

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Corsair DD3 Memory stick has a 1.65V marking does that mean max Volt or should it be run at that? It was originally set at 1.58V bumping it up to 1.6V were it's now appeared to have made some improvements. Should It be set it too 1.65V?

·
Visiting Tech
1,534 Posts
The published voltage is the recommended voltage. You can run higher, but that "could" (I am not saying "will") result in damage. You can run lower but that could (again, not "will") result in stability issues.

I no longer play with clocks and voltages and instead, stick with the defaults/recommendations. So I cannot offer any real advice based on actual experience. Back in the day, I used to do a lot of dinking and tweaking. But it's not the challenge (for me) like it was 20+ years ago when overclocking involved (with fingers and toes crossed) cutting motherboard circuit traces and soldering in jumpers - back before motherboard makers made changing clocks and voltages simple menu options in the BIOS Setup menu.

I figure the manufacturers (and OS developers) want their products to perform optimally for their users and probably know what's best. In most cases, today's hardware (motherboards/chipset, RAM and CPU) know how to work optimally and efficiently together. And today's operating systems know how to accommodate that - securely. Plus, there are fewer headaches - at least for me - when users stick with the default settings for both the hardware, and the OS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts