Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to get my second computer back online? I'm using a D-Link wireless router. The computer that is next to the router is always online, but the other one has been disconnected for a week now. I have three things hooked up to it, the two computers and my XBOX. Everything was fine last week, and then one day the second PC just lost connection. It's done this before, but usually the connection came back after a while.
I tried rebooting both the modem and the router, but it still wouldn't reconnect. It's reconnected a couple times for a bit, but the connection was really slow. So far, neither this PC nor my XBOX have had any online problems.
I really don't know that much about this stuff (someone else hooked it up for me, and they're not around to ask), so any help would be appreciated. :sad:

·
Global Moderator
51,415 Posts
Well, since you provided no useful information, why don't we start there. What is the version and patch level of Windows on the problem machine? Have you tried swapping the cable, changing the port on the router that connects to this machine, checked in Device Manager to see if there are any errors on the Network Controllers?

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using WinXP on this PC. I haven't tried any of that, but I don't like to mess around with the router since I don't know much about it.
Is it okay for me to post that IP stuff?

·
Global Moderator
51,415 Posts
My public IP is 68.80.219.220. What's the big secret?

As far as the output of the IPCONFIG, it's a private network, so I already know most of the IP address, 192.168.0.x.

As far as "not messing around" with anything, I'm afraid you're going to have to do a little "messing around" to sort out the problem. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this is what I got.

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : VAIO Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-59-78-BF Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:49:03 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:49:03 PM

No idea what any of it means, though. :|

·
Global Moderator
51,415 Posts
Can you post that formatted so we can read it?

·
Global Moderator
51,415 Posts
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2005 7:49:03 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:49:03 PM
That part is strange. If you look at the IP leasing you'll see that it's set to expire one HOUR after being leased.

·
Global Moderator
51,415 Posts
Actually, the lease time is not an issue. I've tried everything from one hour to one week here when someone else was having issues, and I never saw any change. The standard behavior of the DHCP client is to renew it's lease when it's 1/2 expired, so in this instance every 1/2 hour the client would just ask for a new lease.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.