Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now, my home LAN has been experiencing some problems. The router (an ss2624 speedstream wireless) sometimes doesn't want to work, (or most of the time) and sometimes it does. I have three computers connected to it, and they all can access the router's web page. However, none of the computers recieve internet access.

One of my computers is able to connect the the cable modem directly and receive internet. I use all the numbers I see from running winipcfg on my directly connected computer when I setup the router, but for some reason the router will not work. I make it so that it uses a static IP address from the ISP (which I'm not entirely sure even is static, even though I always see that same IP address, I also see a DHCP server number) and also I put the DNS server I see, although I am able to choose between 4 different numbers. (I put the others as alternate.) Am I missing any information from my ISP?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Set your router back up to receive DHCP if your ISP requires it. Sometimes ISP's use private IP's for you, that conflict with your current router config. If your router IP is 192.168.1.1, then make sure the IP that you get from your ISP is not 192.168.1.(1-254) Earthlink is bad about this. If it is the case, just change your router (inside address, not the external ISP address) to 192.168.10.1 or something other than 192.168.1.1 just change the second to the last number to anything else.

Not the best at drawing a mental picture here. but

If WAN address is 192.168.1.1
and router is 192.168.1.1 , they conflict. Plus the router needs a different network like 192.168.2.1 for you to be NAT'd

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.