Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comcast cable (their modem), SMC Barricade 4 port router, 4 PC's (1 running currently) fast PC w/ XP Pro.

With my router in the loop my uplink speed is about 20 - 90 kbps and down is 3-6Mbps. Plug direct to modem and the up is 400kbps+ and down 5-7 Mbps.

I just upgraded the router to the latest firmware with no improvement. I've had the router several years (I think since 2001). It's a SMC7004ABR and I do not use the crappy printer port.

I'm open to replacing IF it's neccessary, but don't want to discover a new router does the same thing. If I need to replace what is recommended? I don't know a lot but think I like NAT as it seems to hide my PC pretty well.

Any ideas?

DbHd

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,687 Posts
It may be that the router is indeed a bit "long in the tooth" for more modern ISP speeds. I have a D-Link DI-614+ that can't keep up with my Verizon FiOS 15mbit/2mbit service, but new routers have no problem.

FWIW, any broadband router has NAT, since that's the basic mechanism of sharing a single public IP address with multiple private IP addresses. :)

Keep an eye out at these sites, rebate deals regularly come along on broadband routers for $20 or less.

Deal News

Tech Bargains

More Stuff 4 Less

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'm willing to get a new router, but which one?

I need an 8 port wired router. I'm not an action gamer, just do internet research which involves downloading large files, active stock trading and young grandkids games, oh and lately uploading pics to Costco (great prints cheaper than I can do at home). One other questionable thing.... I remote into my office frequently but not VPN although we have VPN capability. Is this something I should invest in?

Also, I started reading various reviews and saw a few stating the Linksys BEFSR81 slows down things like my current one does. Is that a common complaint? My SMC Baricade used to do great and only in the last several months have I noticed the slowdown.

Sorry for the run on. I appreciate any input i can get.

DbHd

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,687 Posts
Actually, you don't need an 8 port router. A simple Ethernet switch on one of the LAN ports of the router will expand it to as many machines as you like. The switch and a standard SOHO 4 port router will be a lot cheaper than the 8 port router. :smile:

You might look at the Linksys BEFSR81, it has QoS to allow you to manage the priority of different machines, and it actually is an 8 port router, and it can be had for $75-85 on-line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.