Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes. i have a 1 yr old machine with lots of hdwe and have run a router for several years...then this happens and i dont know who to shoot!!! isp upgraded (old speeds 4.5mbps d/l and 360k up) isp increased upload by 2x. but then my router stopped servicing all but one lan device (none of these machines is networked to other lan devices). of course i have power cycled, even formatted , nothing solves the prob...but i dont know if its the cable modem that took some kind of hit during their upgrade process, or whether its my router ( i bought a new one but dont want to put it up until i know the culprit). finally, i have slowed down from 4.5mb to approx 400-600kb, that is dramatic. since the format i have run many trusted malware detectors, i ran hijack this, i ran cws shredder, i ran avg. and a couple of rootkit detectors, and all come clean so i DO NOT have a malware infestation. . ok finally, i need a strategy to approch solving this prob.. is there a way i can test my connection to determine if its the router or modem or???. i can access the internet, albeit very slow - like dial up almost) but i can only send p2p stuff from 1 computer...3 weeks ago i could send from 3 computers...see my problem?!?!?! aloha

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cable modem: toshiba daz8823a
router: d-link ebr2310 WIRED!!!
computer: dell dimension e520 (new may 2006) , 1gb mem, a little 160gb sata drive.
NEVER will have any windows patches, i havent used them since they started and i dont get their probs, so i have no reason to use them for ANY reason ( i have 5 computers and none have ever had a windows patch on it, and all are squeaky clean, i format every 6 weeks or so, i run deep clean utilities weekly (7 pass NSA level erasures). i mentioned that i am clean from a malware/virus/crapware standpoint. here's the ip config:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hawaii.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hawaii.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562V 10/100 Network Conne
ction
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-C4-A2-D2
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 26, 2007 5:09:35 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 26, 2007 8:09:35 PM
the only oddity here is the ip ending in .100...this is NOT the machine that i set the router up with, but its the only one that the router will accept change requests from...but it's also the same machine that will NOT send the p2p stuff. machine .101, is the one used to setup the router but it got the #2 wan addy ( i dont know if that is important or not, just the facts)and its the only one that will send out p2p stuff and it will not accept changes to its setup. are there tests that i can run to indicate if the prob lies more with the router or the modem??? hope this nfo helped out, mahalo and aloha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the purpose of the post was NOT to gripe about p2p stuff. i was complaining because 1 machine will send ANY files when 2 weeks ago both would send. i was writing about the fact that one machine will allow me to modify/update the router setup and its not the one i set this up with. finally and most significant - and it has NOTHING to do with p2p! 2 weeks ago i was able to send from either machine at about 4.5mbps - then suddenly (when all this other stuff started) the d/l speed went down 90%+ to 400-600k. that is my gripe and where i need help. i need to evaluate each device till i get the bad one and replace it, but how to best evaluate, a.k.a. what programs must i run to do a performance analysis of both the router and cable modem. tks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.