Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run an ethernet cable to the basement and have wired and wireless connectivity. I was going to use a wireless router as an AP. Should I connect the ethernet cable to a switch and the to the Router/AP or can I just connect to the ethernet to the wan on the Router/AP and the use the other ports for wired connections? Any advantage of one or the other?

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
For AP mode, you have to use one of the LAN ports on the router, NOT the WAN port, UNLESS your router can use the WAN port as a LAN port. If you need more wired connections than the router's LAN ports can provide, then you should use a switch.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,499 Posts
Run your ethernet cable from the LAN port of your router to a LAN port on the AP, as Stancestans said. But, you have to set a static LAN IP address on the AP/router in the basement, first then turn DHCP OFF in order to convert it to an access point. At this point, it's no longer a router, it's a switch with a wireless access point.. You'll then be able to use the additional LAN ports on your new AP to connect wired devices and you can also configure an additional wireless SSID on the new AP. This setup will give you the best possible speeds.

If you don't turn DHCP off on the 2nd device/AP, you'll have 2 DHCP servers running on the same network or you may end up creating 2 different networks. If all you need are wired connections in the basement, you could use a basic network switch instead of converting a router to an AP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts