Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im looking to invest in a router so i can use the laptop around the house and maybe get the desktop wireless as well.
Have no idea what i should be looking for make wise etc, i have been told that theres no point in looking at a 54 as it would be too slow running.
my internet connection is 2.3mbps.

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
You were told wrong. In any case, I doubt you can even find an 802.11b (11mbit) model anymore. In addition, if you have two wireless devices connected, they contend for the bandwidth, and the sum of the parts are less than the whole, it really cuts down the bandwidth.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi guys
Right i bought a router today and my next question is do i still need to use the modem box from my isp that came for wired broadband or is it discarded.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yes you will still need the modem that came with your box. What you will do is attach your modem to the Uplink port on the router you bought. This will allow your wireless connection from your computer to go through the wireless router to route through your modem.

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
Maybe you can give us the make/model of the modem, router, and what version of Windows you're running. Basic information that will help us help you. :smile:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
I had to return this and get 1 with a modem and router in 1 only thing is it doesnt recognise the laptop and want conect what ever we try, phoned technical support and they couldnt sort or couldnt be bothered an d said it was laptop but all seems fine from what i can see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.