Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is giving me a headache. I bought the card new from Newegg. It is supposed to be plug-n-play. Here is what I did/what happened:

1. Shut down and installed card in last remaining PCI slot.
2. Boot up, hit F2 to look if its recognized. It is, so I continue to Windows.
3. Windows recognizes new hardware like usual.
4. Windows pops up install hardware wizard. Huh?
5. I hit install automatically, but windows cannot find drivers. This was supposed to be pnp!
6. Card does not work, even after installing drivers provided with card, though there were not supposed to be necessary.
7. Now, USB functionality seems to be really testy. For example, the wizard pops up whenever I plug in my camera (never did before) but works just fine with thumb drives.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
You might need to have the driver disk regardless of what Rosewell says, that in XP, it would be found as a plug and play device.
Check for Updates
Look for any conflicts in the device manager.
Control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
Click "view" then click "show hidden devices"
Remove then reboot if any are found.
Otherwise switch pci cards but have the driver disk at hand for the card you are switching with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Device manager showed three yellow ?s under Other Devices. I removed them all, installed the driver and restarted. Same thing happened. Windows is up to date, too.

Reading all the reviews on Newegg, hardly anybody had a problem with installation for what its worth. I got it specifically for its 9-pin internal USB connection and had a hard time finding another one like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is up to date. I feel like I should just do a reinstall of all drivers. Is there any way to do that? Also, I am running the 64-bit version of XP. Might that have anything to do with driver incompatibility?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved:

Did a system restore to the day before I ever opened the case to install anything. Dropped the card in and Windows recognized everything. Beautiful! I am convinced it was a software mix-up or some kind of other random issue.

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.