Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IP Address Error

Hello. For some reason randomly I started getting a few IP/DHCP errors on my computer.

I connect to the internet for about 10 seconds before it stops working. My wireless internet connection says it can connect fine, but for some reason its not actually connecting.

I keep getting the conflicting IP address error, and when I look at the Events log i have TWO errors.

TCP/IP- Error 1002
DHCP- Error 4199

I cant figure out what to do! I already ran the ipconfig /release & /renew yet they still dont seem to work. I have checked my lease info on the router and everything is normal. The thing that is strange is that I never changed any settings, so I really have no idea how it could just 'stop working..'

I have a Linksys WRT54G as well as an old Netgear. I am running DD-WRT on the Linksys because I cant get internet in some parts of my house. But it seems that I am getting the errors regardless of the wireless routers that I am connecting to.

Whats even stranger, is that I am the only one in my apartment that is getting these errors. Everyone else is fine.

I also have already ran the winsock fix and Malware/AVG and they all didnt work.

If someone has a solution that would be great!

Thanks!

:sigh:

· TSF Emeritus
16,407 Posts
Re: IP Address Error

from a different pc ping the ip address that is listed as in conflict.
do you get a response?

I would suspect someone assigned themselves a static ip within the dhcp scope and this is what is causing the conflict. You would need to id which pc is configured with a static ip.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

and then what? what is the solution?

I doubt anyone did that- nobody in my apartment has a clue about ip settings etc...

My roomate just installed a Roku box at the same time I started having problems. Could that be affecting it?

· TSF Emeritus
16,407 Posts

The solution would be to have the device set to obtain a ip automatically instead of a static assignment. In other words you undo what is causing the conflict.

Of course you would checkout any newly deployed equipment as being the source of your issue lke the roku box.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason as soon my roommate installed his Roku box I have been having IP conflicts on my laptop, and my laptop alone.

I cant figure out how to get them to work together, even after releasing and renewing my ip.

I have also made sure that my DHCP is enabled.

I am running two routers- one that has a modded DD-WRT, but I dont think thats an issue..

Any ideas?

· TSF Emeritus
8,379 Posts
Is the ROKU using a fixed IP address - or DHCP
you may want to try a fixed IP for the Roku

post an ipconfig /all from your laptop

Just seen your other post here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ip-address-error-564044.html

it may be worth just keeping to one post for the issue - i will ask a mod to merge together or close this one

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do when I get home from work.

How do i change the Roku settings? I tried to go through the box and couldnt really change the settings of the ip config...

Also, when I unplugged the box, I was still having the problem.

Although I could access it this morning. I really have no idea why its off and on... All I know is I am recieving DHCP and IP errors in the event viewer.

Anyway, I will post later on in the day. Thanks alot!

· TSF Emeritus
16,407 Posts
two things:

1. post the results of a ipconfig /all from your pc for review
2. write down the exact ip conflict error especially the listed mac address. We can identify the problem device by that mac address.

· Registered
11 Posts
I recommend you use the free Roku Radio Snooper program from the Roku site to change the settings in the Roku device. You'll have to run it from a computer that isn't having network problems of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.