Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ610 (P4 no HT 2.00 Ghz) and the cpu is overheating and results in well-timed shutdowns. I'm running XP. Upon startup, the fan hasn't kicked on yet and the temperature is low, but after spending some time on or after opening a couple programs (standard browsers and word processing), the temp soars to 78 degrees celsius and doesn't go down, unless I turn it off and let it cool down for a bit. Shouldn't it have more than a case fan and a heatsink? Doesn't a regular P4 draw a bit more power and produce more heat?

I've done virus scans, spyware scans for something that is there, but shouldn't be. I didn't find anything.

So I'm thinking about opening it up, cleaning the dust out, putting thermal paste between the heatsink/processor and getting one of those coolers for it to sit on and maybe that will bring it down to reasonable levels. It's either that or send it in for a $299 (tier 1) or $700 (tier 2) repair at Sony.

Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

I was able to clean out the exhaust area, but now i have another problem. I can't seem to get the heatsink off. it looks like it's crimped onto the processor. There's a clamp over it, but even with it unscrewed, it doesn't budge. I need to get it off to apply thermal paste, but how can i get it off?
Any ideas? :4-dontkno Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I've removed the heatsinks from only 2 P4s in my life as a tech. Both times required two people, lotsa tools, and barbarian strength.

Yay AMD!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.