Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Roadrunner and AOL. About a month ago I started to get knocked AOL when I try to send an e-mail. Sometimes it happens when I click on an icon. Or for no reason at all.

I get the following message: "The TCP/IP virtual circuit was cancelled due to timeout".

I have talked to AOL (no help) and had the cable company out. Cable company replaced both cable from wall to Netgear modum/router then the modum/router.

Still have problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Do you have problems with anything other than AOL?

You need to determine if the cable link is unstable or if you have a different problem.

Also note you can access your AOL mail without the AOL interface at www.aol.com.

JamesO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only on AOL

This happens only on AOL. I have Outlook and never get kicked off it. AOL on the net is OK but I have a lot of stuff on AOL that I use everyday.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I think the key here is "The TCP/IP virtual circuit was cancelled due to timeout" that you stated earlier. I do not know exactly how AOL works, but it appears they generate some form of VPN tunnel when you log in??

If there is any problem with the connectivity between you and the AOL server, possibly outside the cable company??, your connection may drop.

I would suggest to start an extended ping to the first hop outside your home network and see if the connection between you and the cable company is solid. If it is, then you need to start tracking the instability further into the network.

Also do you have the most up to date AOL software?

How are you connected to you cable modem? Wired or Wireless?

JamesO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James O,

I'm wireless on this computer but hard wired on my PC (it has the same probelm). I have AOL 8.0 (hate 9.0) and have reinstalled it this morning just to be sure it isn't the problem.

I'm going to have to get help from cable company regarding the ping testing. I tried to ping aol and it said it failed. It also said it failed to ping one of the other servers I use. But I get connecetd to both anyway. This is really a crazy problem but I thought it might just be a setting issue.

Terry O

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Try to ping www.techsupportforum.com

This site responds to pings, if you cannot ping this site, your cable company may be blocking pings. So foolish ISP's block pings and trace routes, which is very foolish and frustrating.

Try a tracert to www.techsupportforum.com and see what the first hop is from your private network, see if you can ping this address.

JamesO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.