Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Cable router is not functioning properly, I was going to buy a new cable router but I have many good ADSL routers.

So I'm wondering if instead of buying the new router my virgin media broadband, I could use an RJ-45 to RJ-11 connector, seeing as it would be a lot cheaper? (cable modem has ethernet output which connects to a router)

Would this work? Will the settings be the same? Will it work as good?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,332 Posts
The RJ-11 is connecting to a telephone connection, and the RJ-45 is connecting to an Ethernet connection. They are not only different connectors, but they're totally different signals, electrically and logically!

Forget about it, this is a non-starter from the gate!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aww, I was hoping the ADSL router would function properly like this. Never mind then, looks like I need a new router. (also looks like I still have a lot to learn, just completed an ICT apprenticeship)

On a side note, are there devices which could use a RJ45 to RJ11 cable? I see them selling on ebay.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,332 Posts
Knock yourself out, I'd have a spare NIC handy. Since the 50+ volts on an open phone line will frequently toast an Ethernet NIC, you'll want a fallback position.

It escapes me why someone would seek information and then do something so obviously wrong and potentially destructive to their equipment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
820 Posts
"and then do something so obviously wrong and potentially destructive to their equipment.
__________________"

A good number of years ago we used to sell the BBC Micros. An update was an external 5.25" floppy drive. This came with a data cable and a separate power cable which plugged into the computer (probably 5 or 12 volts).
Anyway we had this customer, thought he knew all about electronics and stuff, (worked as a technician in a school), cut off the power connector and wired in a mains plug. Yes he plugged it into the wall, and :)
There wasn't much left inside the computer after that. Just lots of black stuff.
We all had great laughs for a while. Anyway he bought another computer and floppy drive too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.