Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I right click on a tray icon, Windows often decides to put the icon's menu under the task bar and display the bar's right click menu along with it like so:

It started around a week or 2 ago and it has become increasingly annoying.
Also, the task bar menu doesn't disappear when I click something else unless I first click on a part of it.

Has anyone here seen this problem before? I couldn't use Google since there isn't any good combination of words or phrases that specify this problem.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi there

Yes, I've seen it before. I've never got it pinned out to what it is but only assuming that its a taskbar overload that causes it. To rectify it, click anywhere else and then right-click the taskbar. It should now appear properly. Also move the area where you click to a little higher on the available icon taskbar icon. Click away and then click back on it and it should be better. Make sure to click it once aswell.

Have you installed a separate patch for your theme or is it just a theme downloaded installed?
have you tried switching themes to see if it happens all round?

Worth a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmmm, right clicking several times does seem to help it temporarily.
Would having a lot of toolbars or tray icons have anything to do with it?

I've had this setup for a long time though. I was thinking it might've been a Windows update that did it.

As for the color scheme, I made it myself in the display properties advanced appearance area. I used some Windowblinds themes once but I uninstalled it.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Honestly DeathByNukes, I think its due to being heavily overloaded. Like I suggested, make a note of them all and then try taking them off one by one and seeing if that alleviates the matter. The Quick Launch and the Startups tray icons take up the most mem usage and delays.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
That wouldn't happen due to overload... That is a program you have ethier installed, or something which has installed itself (Malware), I can see it is something to do with email. Have you installed any email programs? If not, go through the 'Having problems with spyware/viruses' first steps in my sig, and post a HJT log in the HJT log help section (Link in sig).

What email service do you use?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
We differ. It certainly would happen in many cases. I've troubleshooted this sort for problem for the last 11 months. Even if there's no malware, it could easily happen, with everything stable but having too many startups or apps on quick launch in WinXP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I most likely don't have any viruses. I probably don't have any spyware either, since ZoneAlarm hasn't shown any unusual activity and its auto spyware scan shows nothing.
I use Gmail and Gmail notifier for mail. The outlook icon isn't actually email, its a script/program I made.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Would you be willing to risk any of the tray/quick launch icons?

There is a repair for them but a few times its wiped them clean to the way it was when XP is first installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.