Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy!

first off, i am a total linux newbie. but, i am a level 3 windows support guy, so it bugs me that i can't figure this out....

just installed redhat 9 on a toshiba portege 7200 laptop and i have 2 problems.

1) hardware detect is not seeing my lucent wavelan card (pcmcia 802.11b).

2) during install, the mouse worked fine (ms wireless optical usb wheelmouse). during install, rh9 defaulted to ps2 wheelmouse so i changed to usb wheelmouse. then on first boot, hardware detect says, 'new hardware...ps2 mouse. like to configure?' so, i figure what the heck. if rh9 wants to call it ps2, i ain't gonna argue. so i says yes. anyways, i get to the login...dead mouse.

i think you get the picture. how can i get my 802.11 working and my mouse working?

mucho tia,

evan

·
Registered
711 Posts
wireless card:

get a shell prompt:
type modprobe orinoco_cs
that should get you going for that

mouse:
drop to a prompt from the X login:

ctr+alt+backspace

or if you can type you can type "telinit 3" without the quotes

vi /etc/X11R6/XF86Config-4

Looks for the mouse section thats not commented out and make sure that the mouse is listed as /dev/usb/mouse I believe? Or if you have the ps2 adapter let it see it as that until you can edit the file or post the contents of the XF86Config file.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx gi68. my xf86config file is apparently empty. when i type the command line as given, it's empty and says, 'new file' at the bottom of the window.

i really would like to give linux a shot here, but i've dl'd 5 different distros in the last 10 days and haven't found even one that just boots to the gui with no problems.

1) lindows: boots to the gui and sees all my hardware and works perfectly. but click-n-run sucks.

2) lycoris: i forget what's wrong with lycoris. but it didn't work.

3) red hat: we've already talked about. i did get the orinoco working...until i rebooted. then eth0 and eth1 got all screwy and i couldn't sort it out.

4) freebsd: i tried every man page i could think of ((man man; man gui; man session;man help...)i'm new so i don't know many) and i don't know how to get the gui to come up. i'm stuck at the cli.

5) mandrake: soooo close but won't let me change the screen resolution. in the mandrake conttrol center, i see where and how to do it, but it just doesn't work.

it's not hard to see why windows rules the world. it's bloated, it's insecure...but you turn it on and it freakin' works.

i'm gonna keep trying. but, man, it's frustrating.

thx again,

evan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.