Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, After taking MUCH advice from many of you here, and replacing and testing every single part of my computer -> list: Motherboard, Ram, Processor, CD Drive, Hard Drive, New Power Supply (different than before). I STILL HAVE MY ORIGINAL PROBLEM. - My computer can't handle anything and maintain a somewhat normal operation - ie. while typing this, and listening to music, (NOTHING ELSE - CPU process is at 1%), my music is pausing, "glitch sounding", like my computer is temporarily freezing for a second, then normal for 5 seconds, then pause... my mouse skips across the screen, ect...

-with that out of the way - thank you all for your suggestions, they actually have been very helpful in some other problems I have had, but this is making me rethink my college major (computer engineering).

-The only thing on my computer that I haven't sent back to the manufacturer is my video card, and my fans and case. everything that I did send back was "certified" by that company to be in proper working order.

-I have also taken this to my friend at the local computer shop (he's the head of the repair team) - and his response "this problem shouldn't be possible!"

-Now, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas that can give me a direction on how to get my computer "normally" working??? Please anyone - Thanks.

--Specs (also in sig): Intel P4 640 (3.2GHz 64-bit), 2GB Corsair DDR2 533mhz, MSI 925XE-Neo3 motherboard (freshly flashed bios), MSI 6600GT Nvidia GPU, Seagate 60GB HD (for OS - Win XP Pro SP2 (fully updated)). The ONLY things loaded besides XP w/ the updates are my drivers for the cards (mobo/vid/ect) I have and wireless internet. Also loaded: CPU-ID, Aquamark 3, and Trillian Basic. THANKS AGAIN - and sorry for the very long message, I'm very desperate at this point...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello, sorry to hear of your delima....if you are using a sound card, have you flashed the firmware to the latest and/or updated the drivers for it....and disabled the onboard sound (if aplicable). If you are using onboard sound....are you using the latedst drivers for it, are the internal wires in good shape and not sharply bent or kinked, connections good....or considered using a sound card. I would also suggest anything near your computer that may be operating that may be throwing out stay RF/EMF be moved away both from the computer and speakers, are you using a 3 prong plug to guarrentee proper grounding etc.....let us know how it goes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twajetmech said:
Hello, sorry to hear of your delima....if you are using a sound card, have you flashed the firmware to the latest and/or updated the drivers for it....and disabled the onboard sound (if aplicable). If you are using onboard sound....are you using the latedst drivers for it, are the internal wires in good shape and not sharply bent or kinked, connections good....or considered using a sound card. I would also suggest anything near your computer that may be operating that may be throwing out stay RF/EMF be moved away both from the computer and speakers, are you using a 3 prong plug to guarrentee proper grounding etc.....let us know how it goes
Sorry, I may have been a little vague on my problem... (integrated sound, btw) - my problem is not an external problem... there's something wrong w/ the inner workings of my computer - as in, for some reason (I highly believe) my CPU is causing my problems... in one way or another.... it's the speed of the computer that's causing my sound to "glitch" and pause... just like my mouse skipping across the screen, and pausing here and there....

-I also noticed that the cpu Idle Process was at 97% (like normal) while typing and listening to music... (while the music and mouse was skipping), but when I looked at the Performance area in Task Manager, it was at least 30% usage, although there were no processes that were using the CPU, acording to the "processes list" in Task Manager... maybe that will have someone think of a possible problem?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Your mouse skipping across the screen is usually a driver issue, look at your device manager and see if there are any yellow flags...update all your mouse, keyboard drivers if available, as for the sound...if the mobo mfg has any updates for the sound drivers see if they help (if you have AC97 onboard sound and no new drivers available I would reccomend a Creative sound card instead of onboard) Your CPU slowing down can be caused by over temping, download everest and see what it says about your cpu temp) it can also still be a psu problem....what psu do you have...(make model wattage) are your psu readings stable

http://www.lavalys.hu/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twajetmech said:
Your mouse skipping across the screen is usually a driver issue, look at your device manager and see if there are any yellow flags...update all your mouse, keyboard drivers if available, as for the sound...if the mobo mfg has any updates for the sound drivers see if they help (if you have AC97 onboard sound and no new drivers available I would reccomend a Creative sound card instead of onboard) Your CPU slowing down can be caused by over temping, download everest and see what it says about your cpu temp) it can also still be a psu problem....what psu do you have...(make model wattage) are your psu readings stable

http://www.lavalys.hu/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en
I know this isn't a driver problem... I've been fighting with this for the last 7 months now... tried everything known to man... I'm positive it's a hardware problem... My PSU is an Antec NeoPower - power is stable... My CPU is running around 45C, and my mouse is jumping across the screen because my CPU is slowing down, it can't keep up with my demands (although very minimal, like listening to music, and moving the mouse...)

-I had considered the Power Supply before, but it's an Antec... those things are built extremely well, not to mention not cheap... but I think that's the next on my list to rule out now...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dai said:
what size is the antec
true 480 watt... good amperage all around... it's more than enough for my system... although, it still might be causing the problems... like I said, it's the only thing that I haven't replaced since my problem started... although, it is a replacement for my original PS that was also in while I had problems.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Ok, good psu, now since you believe your cpu is slowing down, it is probably throttling, this is triggered by temps, now I know you said your temps register at 45C but those readings could be false, I would try removing the heatsink, cleaning it off and applying some Artic Silver 5 thermal compound ( be sure to remove the thermal pad under the heatsink) and see if the temp readings change, follow the directions on the Artic Silver website and report back what you find

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
also check in the bios to see if you have a setting for the max cpu temp before it throttles back,it maybe set to low

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dai said:
also check in the bios to see if you have a setting for the max cpu temp before it throttles back,it maybe set to low
already applied Arctic 5 when I installed the CPU to begin with... never install any CPU w/o that stuff, it's great. The temperature readings are accurate to the best of 2 seperate program's abilities, so that's right. also checked the BIOS and couldn't find anything linking to a max temp or any CPU controls like that...

-If my problem is throttling, could that be caused by the power supply? I picked up another Antec, to quickly swap it and test it out, I'd assume that I don't have to re-install windows to check this out... What else could be causing throttling btw?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an overclocking program, that allows me access to the multiplier, the clock speed, the voltage, and RPM of the CPU fan, besides that, I can also check ok the temps of the CPU, and the ambient case temp. All that is one program, but MSI doesn't have anything else like that...

-I just ran Throttle Watch for Intel all yesterday, it didn't detect anything like that... I did turn off the feature of the CPU to lower voltage and the multiplier when windows isn't doing anything, but that didn't help... even still though, that wouldn't really describe my problem...

-it's not that my CPU seems slow (although, that is a rather elementary description), my computer can't even handle things like typing without it pausing, and jumping... not to mention the cursor doesn't even blink normally...

-I updated the M/B Bios to a version released a couple weeks ago... once again, it helped a copule "side problems" that didn't really bother me, but the main one still persists...

-SO, IF IT ISN'T THROTTLING, WHAT COULD IT BE... that's my question to the world :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Does the computer run normally without the overclock, windows based OC programs are usually never reccomended here as we find them quite unstable and the potential for disaster too great. I would also run Avast or AVG anti virus and see if all is clear on that front. Does it still behave odd with just one dimm populated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.