Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i finally finished my new PC but here is the prob when i turn on the power all the lights come on the fans turn the works but it shuts off after 2 seconds right away, the CPU is fine cause its brand new and i don't think its the MoBo cause the network LED is on all the time meaning there is current going through and whatnot the ram should be fine and there is no graphic card cause its integrated so ya um whats up :(

also forgot to mention when there is no CPU in the socket the MoBo stays on it does not shut off so it has to do with the CPU i guess buts its brand new. also i already tried clearing BIOS

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Sounds like the system is shutting down do to cpu overheat, make sure the cpu fan is connected to the correct place on the motherboard.

make sure the heatsink is down tight

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its not that i tryed different fan plus they all do the same also the CPU cant overheat i exacgerated when i said 2 secs its more like a fraction of a second like litterally the cpu cannot go form air temp to burnout degrees ina fraction of a second and if it can well my heatsink and fan are properly mounted and plugged

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Vience Core
RAM: 512MB Hynix DDR 400 Ram
MOBO: Asus A8N VM
HDD: 250GB 7200RPM 16MB cache IDE maxtor
CD DRV: Sony DVD +/- RW
CASE: Ultra Microfly
PSU: Came with the case (i got the blue case with no window on the side)

ok so those are the stats, i dunno y but im thinking maybe it has to do with the socket of the mobo i have this weird feeling that i got thermal paste in the hole/s is there a way to clean up the socket should i rub some rubbing alchool or something?? there must be a way to clean inside the socket.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi!
I agree with the others - this sounds like a PSU problem. Have you checked the 4-pin 12-volt power connection on the mobo?

Nicholas

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how can it be the PSU its brand new :S is here a way to test it like with a multimeter or something i really dont want to fork over more money for nothing :(

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Open the case and get the Power supply information off the side of the unit including the amps on the 12volt rail.
It seems to be an underpowered power supply, generic power supplies do not put out the power they claim.

EDIT just googled your case and it comes with a 400 watt PSU, you need at least a 500 watt GOOD QUALITY PSU see the link in my signature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how does this make any sense so i used the calculator and this is my stats and results (i added what im going to upgrade to), i rounded up and then added 30% and i get about 400W but my PSU is 420W... this is dumb i hate my PC lol also the overclocking maybe a bit wrong its just what i expect i dont think i need to increase the Vcore tooo much i only want it to go to 2.6GHz about plus im not using stock cooling i have a better one so ya.

System Type: Single Processor
Motherboard: Regular - Desktop
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2200 MHz Venice 1.40v
Overclocked: 2600 MHz, 1.5 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85% TDP

RAM: 4 Sticks DDR SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Video Type: Single Card

IDE HDD 7200 rpm: 1 HDD
SATA HDD: 1 HDD

DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Floppy Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card (avg): 2 Cards

USB: 2 Devices
Front Bay LCD Display: Yes

Fans
Regular: 2 Fans 80mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

PSU Utilization: 100 %

Total: 279 Watts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also can you name some good PSU companys all i know is Antec and that im not too sure on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to the eneles you gave me this link that doesnt help i just want brand names i read all this, also as said before i have no graphics they are integrated though i plan on getting a 7600 when i get more money im not a hardcore gamer but i do play my share of em.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok so i was doing some multimeter tests on my PSU it seems that if the 4 pin 12V connecter is not in everything stays on just nothing happens as the CPU is not getting any power but i checked the voltages and i get 11.91V which is acceptable, my molex gives me 12.01 and 4.93, i just find it weird could the CPU be defective??

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
i just find it weird could the CPU be defective??
Your power supply is not defective but being a generic brand it is not putting out the amps that it says it does, so that means your 420watt power supply is really a 300-350 watt supply.
Buy a PC power and cooling,seasonic,antec,ocz, fortron.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok well i am about to shower im heading to a friends who has an antec PSU so i will try it on that if it really is my PSU i will go buy a new one today :) thx alot for all ur help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR ok so i picked up the PSU today i got a 450w Antec PSU and guess what its still doing it my god it goes on for a fraction of the second so it is either my CPU or MOBO now cause every other piece in that computer has been changed i can most likely make a new PC soon outta the old stuff :S

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Check and make sure the clear cmos jumper is in the correct position, it normally goes on pins 1&2.

Make sure the cpu fan is connected in the correct place on the motherboard, if it is not the board thinks there is no fan and shuts down.

Make sure the hearsink is tight, a cpu can overheat in a matter of seconds and force the board to shut down.

I know you said you don't think its overheat but double,triple check because any one of these things will cause the symptoms you describe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok i checked all these still nothing are you sure that the motherboard cant be dead or can the CPU be dead also id rather the cpu cause i can just return it but the motherboard i cant i would have to fork over another 120 bucks which i dont have. i am really getting mad cause i am wasting money for nothing at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.