Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to restrict internet access at my office for around 20 users. All the pc's are directly connected through a common switch and all are on broadband since its a new office.
Please advice me the best way to restrict internet access. Please also recommend me the hardware required.My understanding is I will probably need a new switch with atleast 30 ports keeping future requirements.
we have a dedicated 10 mbps link which will plug into the new switch.

1. Please recommend me a switch I should go for. ?

2. Is it possible to restrict access using only a switch ? or I will have to setup a complete domain environment ?

I want to implement this with minimum efforts and keep it as easy as possible.Need your help urgently.Thanks !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently there is no firewall. All pc's connected to a common switch for the whole building.

I am only looking at blocking basic access like facebook pages etc.Since this organisation deals with Video conferance technology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have come up with one thing in mind.

I can purchase a small router and a switch for around 20 users. Plug the uplink in the router that i purchased and connect all users on the new switch. this way the router can assign dhcp ip to all users and restrict access too.

I can configure the firewall to block websites like facebook and other chat sites. How does this solution sound ? It would save me from the hassle to create an entire domain for users and ask them to log on to domain and stuff.

Please recommend.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, it works like any home base boardband setup.

You should already have a boardband router with your current ISP.
connect 1 of the Lan port to you switching uplink port (or any).
Have you router act as DHCP server and you can put a web site name filter list what should be blocked. You can also configure date & time to block also.

Beware this is only basic filtering by name. E.g if you block access to Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More, user can still access by IP: 66.220.158.11.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.