Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help a friend (over the telephone) restore his packard bell pc.

He discovered approx 3500 virus infected files (loveletter.vbs). The Norton Anti-virus he since installed was unable to delete or quarantine them so he performed a complete format of his HD.
The format method was: format c:/u

He purchased his packard bell (not sure of the model) with 1 single floppy recovery disk so i assumed Windows XP is already installed in a reserved area of the HD as a separate cd copy didnt come with the pc.

Can i still restore XP?
If so, can someone tell me the procedure?

I know he needs to use fdisk and create a partition but we are not sure how. Also he has discovered that his D: and E: drives are not recognised when he attempts to select the dir E:\ [Invalid Drive .....]

I need help!!! :)

thanks alot

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums steveclaxer...................:D

I have never heard of a company storing the OS on the hard drive, What if it failed then where would you be?

Look on the side of the case and see if the registration number is stuck on there somewhere.

I would have your friend do a thorough search for a CD with XP on it. If he doesn't find it I would call the store where he purchased it and tell them about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm....

thanks for the reply...
Ok.... He is now going to purchase a copy of win xp. It seems that the pc cannot identify the CD Rom Drive since he formated the HD - Invalid Drive msg in Dos screen.

Also there is a 'Bad command or File name' error when he tries fdisk from the A:\ recovery floppy.

Are we up the creek without a paddle? :confused:

Basically all we need is for the PC to identify the CD ROM drive so that we can run the Win XP setup.

thanks again

P.S. There is no driver disk for the CD Rom drive.

S

·
0 Posts
What he needs is the Packard Bell Restore CD it has all the drivers for his system included in it.

If he boots to the restore floppy that he has it should ask you some questions about what you want to do, Like a complete install by formatting or to repair system files.

Where did he buy this machine?

Unless this is one of those machines where the bios is stored on the hard drive. If that's the case I would be on the phone with Tech Support!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks Speedo..

but i remember doing something like this before .... i own a similar pc (packard bell) and that didnt come with a recovery cd either - just a floppy.

I had a Similar situation .. i called the tech support and they talked me through partitioning using fdisk (from the floppy) so that i could get the CD Rom Prompt E:\ on the dos screen.

i know it is possible i just cannot remember how. The free tech support has expired so we were hoping to solve this using this forum.

thanks again...

I hate PCs' :angry2:

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

where i would normally expect it to say...
Boot with CD ROM support...
Boot without CD ROM support...
etc....

but it seems to read the floppy then finishes with just the C:\ prompt. No options available.

cheers

S

·
0 Posts
Tell him to go here and download a Win98 Boot disk and to read the instructions on how to create the floppy!

Then boot to this floppy. Make sure to tell him to use a new floppy if he has one.

They don't make it easy Packard Bell.....:no:

Crap he is probably offline bad idea.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok when you insert the WIN 98 Bootup Disk, and you restart, you said it doesn't give you any choices right?

Ok.......Now, when it completes its process of runnung dos, and it gives you a c:/ Prompt, can you try to access the A:/ Drive by typing "A:"?

IF yes, that when it displays a "A:/" prompt, type in fdisk.....It will give you a long paragraphs about extended Drives, Just Press ENTER................From there, You can Create, See, And delete drive partitions. It will give you a menu anyways. Type in 4 and press enter to view all partitions, you should delete them all, then create a PRIMARY Partition, Than A Logical Drive Partition, Then an Extended Partition.........Its very easy to do all that (Everything is clear on the menu)..........

Ok, After you have done that, Re-Format the C: Drive............

Restart WITH THE Bootup Disk INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!

It should give you the options but if not, just wait until it gives you any prompt, access the A:/.........(make sure the Win 98 CD is INSIDE THE DRIVE) and type in "SETUP" and enter, this should install it..........

>>>>>IF You are trying to install WIN XP Directly onto your formatted Hard Drive, It WILL NOT WORK unless it is the full Installation CD NOT the Upgrade. It will give you an error........So its better to install Win 98 first, than Win XP........

Now If all I said above is useless because you can't even get into Fdisk:D Than you NEED to give him/her a Win 98 Bootup Disk that works.........

If that doesn't work either, you probably have some settings in the Bios (System setup) that you need to change.........

You can Access the Bios By restarting with no Disk inside, and either pressing DEL on your keyboard continuously until it goes in setup, or by trying F1 Cont. until it goes in setup........... (Depends on type of computer)........

Make sure that the sequence of hardware to be checked firstby the computer (the order) is as follows:

A:, C:, CD-Rom

VERY IMPORTANT.........

If the A: Drive is not first, than the computer won't check the Bootup Disk first, and you won't get the Menu... (With / Without CD-Rom Support).............

Ok, Try all that and let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Da Tru Masta

S

·
0 Posts
>>>>>IF You are trying to install WIN XP Directly onto your formatted Hard Drive, It WILL NOT WORK unless it is the full Installation CD NOT the Upgrade. It will give you an error
This is not true! I have been loading my XP Home doing a clean install right off of the CD at least a dozen times in the last 10 months, and it is the Upgrade version.

That's all it wants during the install is a look at a previous version of Windows 95 or better.........................:D

·
Registered
403 Posts
SPEEDO said:

This is not true! I have been loading my XP Home doing a clean install right off of the CD at least a dozen times in the last 10 months, and it is the Upgrade version.

That's all it wants during the install is a look at a previous version of Windows 95 or better.........................:D
But for most of the time, when you attempt to run WIN XP setup in dos from the "Upgrade CD", It will give the user an error message that says "This Program Connot be Run In MS Dos"!!!!!!!!

Im surprised your UPGRADE CD Works on a Clean Formated Drive!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I am trying to help a friend (over the telephone) restore his packard bell pc.
hmm.. ok tell him to unplug the system from the wall, unplug the keyboard, the mouse and the monitor, speakers and everything else connected to the tower ....

now, take the tower part of the computer leaving all the other devices where they are ... and throw the tower out the window, works best if he's in an apartment on the top floor or in a 3 story house. :D

Now that the problem with the Packard Bell is solved, go to the store and buy a machine that works. :)

Ok, I know a smart *** responce, but speedo's all over this problem with the support so I figured .. inject some humor. :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is A REALLY Good idea tech LOL :D

And:

"If you can't beet your computer at chess, try kick Boxing" LOL

Just some more humor:D

But throwing it out the window is still a Good idea!;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Packard Bell still in Business!?!?

Now that the problem with the Packard Bell is solved, go to the store and buy a machine that works.
Packard Bell
PC's suck big ...

What pieces of ...!!!!

If you own one, buy a boat to get some use out of your PC!

If you have one or have worked on one, and haven't had any bad experiences with it, please let us know. We would just like to say we had heard of someone that liked theirs!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
(For some reason, the board is insisting on putting the D in Packard on a seperate line. I got tired of trying to fix it ... ;) )

S

·
0 Posts
But for most of the time, when you attempt to run WIN XP setup in dos from the "Upgrade CD", It will give the user an error message that says "This Program Connot be Run In MS Dos"!!!!!!!!
Well I've gotta take your word for it because I never tried to setup XP or 2K from DOS I always try booting off of the CD first....................:D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
LAMO

Packar "D" Bell ...

Feel free to use it anyone! I just want free lifetime front row tickets!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.