Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Media Edition 2004, I somehow removed the icon for "Safely remove hardware" from my system (notificationi) tray. In searching I found another thread which permits me to run the program:

"RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"

and supposedly places the icon back in the tray, but not so on my computer. Before I go to Microsoft and pay them to answer my question, does anyone out there know how to force the icon for "safely remove hardware" back into my system tray?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'Restore Icon "Safely Remove Hardware"

Yes, after I run the command (rundll), the "Safely remove hardware" program runs and I am able to remove the external disk from my system. And while I have the computer on, the icon appears in the system tray. But when I reboot, the icon no longer appears in the system tray. I remember that the icon used to be there all the time but I must have done something to bash it. I have gone into the tray "properties-customize" and the name "safely remove hardware" shows under past items. But how to restore it on a permanent basis has aliuded me. (Note: I did not try XP repair as the disk (from Dell) indicated it would re-install XP and I was chicken to go any further.)

HAL

·
Registered
179 Posts
try the following
Safely remove hardware

To have it show:

With the external drive plugged in, right click the drive in the folders list, then left click Properties and Hardware.

Left Click the name of the external drive in this list, then click Properties and Policies.

This takes you to the "Write caching and safe removal page". The default position in my XP is "Optimize for quick removal" not "Optimize for performance" as implied by Freecom and Microsoft.

You can put the icon in the notification area by clicking the underlined "Safely Remove Hardware" on this page

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can get the icon into the System tray but on reboot (with external drive off) it still goes away. Maybe I was confused about it being there all the time and this is the way it works. Anyway I can live with it this way.
Thanks,
Hal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.